Thread: Power feeder wheels slipping

Power feeder wheels slipping

I'm having some issues with the power feeder for mt shaper not feeding well. The wheels don't feel hard, I have the table well lubricated, and I have tried adjusting the pressure. I was thinking maybe using a Vbelt conditioner on the wheels to increase the traction. Has anyone tried this? Is there any other tricks to improve this?

I think the stock yellow tires, especially when a bit older do that.

I replaced mine with Purple from Western Roller which are quite a bit softer. The upside is that they work great, the downside is they will damage easily. I've not damaged them myself and am the only one who uses them. If I had staff, I would have spare purple tires.

Blog Entries
    Dump the stock rubber wheels. Get the 70 durometer poly wheels. Western roller is who I get them from.

The Western Roller yellow tires (70 durometer I think) are what I use and are a good compromise between traction and durability. If you are running a lot of slick material like melamine the softer purple ones are better.

We used belt treatment on the farm, it worked by made a huge mess. I suggest wiping them down with Simple Green and see if that helps. You use lube on the shaper table? Just curious what kind of lube that would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    We used belt treatment on the farm, it worked by made a huge mess. I suggest wiping them down with Simple Green and see if that helps. You use lube on the shaper table? Just curious what kind of lube that would be?
    I use either paste wax or t9 boeshield

I checked out western roller I see they also offer a feed belt conversion. Has anyone tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    I checked out western roller I see they also offer a feed belt conversion. Has anyone tried that?
    They let you you run things like small trim blocks without them spinning around and getting chewed up. But unless that is your main
    product , I prefer to just line up the blocks ,face down, then put a piece of plywood on top of the “choo-choo train” and shoot couple of nails
    in each to maintain alignment. I would never let a kid helper use the feed belt for short pieces , they will smush a finger with a wheel then move on to cutter….hospital, then lawyer.

Getting the right tires is a start.
    I use Gulf Wax on tables. I can hit the in feed path as the wood is running.
    I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the tires. I took the shroud off the wheels. I shut the cutters off before cleaning the wheels, and wipe them with alcohol as they spin.

Dust collection with a shop vac and crevice tool between the first and second feeder wheel keeps the wheels cleaner. It's Sapele oil that causes trouble for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Hi Richard, I previously used paste wax however I changed to Silber Gleit that I purchased from Felder.

It’s a very strange looking semi-solid paste that comes in a 1 Kg can, probably a lifetime supply for me.

It seems to last longer than paste wax and doesn’t affect the wood or future finishes.

Regards, Rod

I dont know if it applies to your rollers or not, but many rubbers 'bloom', where excipients migrate to the surface over time, and also the exposed surface degrades over time.

My recommendation is to avoid chemical treatments (you are breaking down the top layer of the material). Instead, try sandpaper. For a feeder I might recommend some 150 grit glued to a board that you hold stationary for the wheels to rub against and refresh that top surface of the roller.

I have not done this on a power feeder but I have done it successfully on other types of feed rollers.

Blog Entries
    Look on Amazon for rubber rejuvenator. It’s used in the printing industry to clean and condition. I think you will find the belt/wheels softer and more grippy.