Thread: Grizzly G0623x vs ? Experiences

Grizzly G0623x vs ? Experiences

Hey all... still on my slider quest and I've ruled out several machines for different reasons (will post an update on that thread soon) I'm still on the fence of long or short slider... either will work for me but if course there are pros and cons....

That said one of the short strokes seems to be the grizzly 6023. I'm curious about this machine. I've never had my hands on a grizzly saw and have mixed things in my head of the brand but I know they've come a long way and are a competitive brand out there.

I would like to keep this thread on point and we while I respect everyone's opinions and advice in really just looking for answers to the few questions below... I've already considered just about every type of machine on the new and used market and have several valid options right now that I'm looking at and this is just one.... here goes....

1. Does anyone own one of these and if so direct experiences and comparisons

2. How does this compare to say an scm sc2c or hammer k3?

3. How is grizzly service and how often is it actually needed with their products... reliability etc.?

Again, appreciate all but really just looking for answers to these specific questions and experiences... some may say spend your money on a felder short stroke or sc3c or something equivalent... those are not apples to apples machines... this sells for about 5k and that's what I'm trying to keep the comparison at.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Kurt Wyberanec; 03-26-2022 at 6:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    https://instagram.com/northeastwoodw...dium=copy_link

Josh "northeastwoodworks" does a review of his g6023x in his pinned stories.

I personally wouldn't buy one based on previous grizzly machines I've owned, but I haven't used that specific saw before so i have no direct experience.

Did you see the used SCM S315WS for sale in the classifieds here that popped up today? In western PA for $6500 and looks like it’s never been used. I would explore that before a short stroke / grizzly.
    Still waters run deep.

I own a G0623 that I purchased new about 2 or 2-1/2 years ago. The Grizzly wasn't my first choice but it fit my budget at the time at around $3,500 plus shipping. I see it's considerably more money now days. I was apprehensive about purchasing a Grizzly slider although I owned one of their cabinet saws in the past and was happy with it. I also owned a large grizzly wood lathe in the past but was never really happy with it, always something that needed fixing or adjusting. The 0623 slider is a decent saw and I'm happy with it considering what I paid. I doubt it would hold it's own if compared to an scm or hammer but I don't know that from experience. The slider is smooth, will cut square panels consistently and the flip stops work great. The 5hp motor has plenty of power even when ripping 2" thick hardwood. The blade dust collection works but could be improved upon. The ripping fence is pretty good for the money but could also be improved upon. The saw does have the ability to take a stacked dado but it's a pain to change, I ended up picking up and older unisaw just for cutting dado's. Overall I have had no problems with the saw and I think it's a good saw for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Did you see the used SCM S315WS for sale in the classifieds here that popped up today? In western PA for $6500 and looks like it’s never been used. I would explore that before a short stroke / grizzly.
    Thanks Phillip, I'll take a look, I actually missed that one today so thanks... still looking to find out more about this one too though.

Like Jack, I purchased one a couple years ago. I am in agreement with most of his thoughts. The saw worked great, as well as the slider. The two weak points are the rip fence, which I planned to change out to a Beis I have, and the short crosscut fence on the slider, the one that is close to the operator.

The motor was smooth and powerful, and the slider was smooth, but I didn't like the miter gage type thing the short crosscut fence was attached to. I planned to make a new mount for the fence, pinned to the slider to eliminate slop, but never go around to it.

I say planned, because I fell into deal on a used MM CU300 machine that has the short slider, shaper I will never use, and a 12" jointer/planer with tersa head, as well as the mortising attachment. I gave my son in law a good price on the Grizzly, and he is very happy with it. I told him to keep his Unisaw also, but he didn't agree. I still have mine for dado's.

In summary, the Griz is a good saw, but the Hammer or MM are better. How much better depends on what they are all selling for today, and how it fits your budget.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I just got the shop fox version and use it most every day for work. Happy to answer any questions you might have. I'm extremely happy with it at the price point I picked it up for.

There is a cabinet shop down the road that has one and they love it. They abuse the heck out of it and it just takes a beating and keeps on ticking as they say. I have used it and liked it a lot. Compared to my older Griggio slider the Grizzly is at least as good if not better. It holds a tune great and cuts square every time assuming it hasn’t been messed with or if it needs a touch up on the tune. Yes a Hammer or SCM will be better. They tend to be more smooth, have better fit and finish, easier to tune and supposedly hold a tune better although I don’t see that in the Grizzly sliders that I have used.

I have to add a comment to my previous post.

As Bobby mentions, about easier to tune, I used to have a Felder 700 I bought new. It was a very good machine, but tuning the slider table was too complicated for me, so I Paid a Felder rep to adjust the whole machine. After spending a whole afternoon on it, he finally declared it was as good as he could get it. The slider wagon was not quite straight, OK but not perfect. Each time he made one adjustment it threw out another.

On the other hand, the comparatively rudimentary adjustments on the Griz were pretty straight forward, and even a non pro like me could adjust them successfully.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have to add a comment to my previous post.

As Bobby mentions, about easier to tune, I used to have a Felder 700 I bought new. It was a very good machine, but tuning the slider table was too complicated for me, so I Paid a Felder rep to adjust the whole machine. After spending a whole afternoon on it, he finally declared it was as good as he could get it. The slider wagon was not quite straight, OK but not perfect. Each time he made one adjustment it threw out another.

On the other hand, the comparatively rudimentary adjustments on the Griz were pretty straight forward, and even a non pro like me could adjust them successfully.
    I'll echo this. Adjusting my shop fox edition was extremely easy. Mine was way out of alignment on delivery and it took just a few minutes to dial it in and it has been staying locked in.

I bought my 0623x used from a cabinet shop down the road that was upgrading. It works great. Grizzly put the machine’s budget into the slider mechanism, which works great. The rip fence leaves something to be desired and I’ve been casually looking for a used replacement locally. But it works ok, just not as easily adjusted as your typical cabinet style fence. Over all, for 3k, I’m very happy with the performance. Worlds better than the 2 hp hybrid cabinet saw it replaced.

I've had the G0700, the "even shorter stroke" version of that saw since 2015. The internals are quite robust and well-done. No runout on the arbor, and a few weeks ago I ripped some 3" cherry table legs with no issues. Dust collection is good enough although having the hood mounted on the riving knife is annoying.

The crosscut fence is annoying because you have to remove it any time you need to rip something longer than the table's stroke. But otherwise the rip fence works fine and the slider is easy enough to get calibrated. It holds its settings as long as you treat it nicely and don't bang heavy stuff around on it.