Thread: Good,better, more better sanding discs?

Good,better, more better sanding discs?

As I’ve looked over previous posts (most are quite old) about sanding discs looking fo some consensus or most popular, I come away empty. Going to vendor websites is not much better. Numerous brands, different backings ,grit material and costs. Perhaps we could help each other by those with some experience/opinions telling what they like best or use the most.
    Ive been using Abranet for a long time, seems to work well, but a bit pricey.

I like the New Wave discs from Lee Valley. They are pricey but the scalloped edge works well especially on the inside of bowls to get into the curved parts. Since I use more 80 grit than the finer ones I now use these https://www.amazon.ca/Hurricane-Blue...al&sr=1-5&th=1 for initial sanding and the new wave for the rest of the finishing.

I have been using the blue discs from VinceswoodNwonders for years. He used to send me a lot of different samples of abrasives to try out, and I always went back to the blue discs. They cut longer and faster than any others I have tried. Have little experience with the Abranet discs, which are the only others I would try. Did try some a while ago, and as near as I could tell, in grits up to about 220, the standard abrasives cut better than the open weave ones. Above 220 there was no difference that I could see. Supposedly they last a lot longer. Vince's discs are over sized, 3 3/8 and 2 3/8, though I think he has standard sizes also. They over lap the sides of the pad, and are excellent for getting into the curves. I did try some wave discs years ago, the red aluminum oxide ones, and they didn't come close to the blue discs Vince has.

robo hippy

Like Reed, I haven't found anything superior to the blue discs from Vince. Good guy to do business with, as well.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I also prefer the blue discs from Vince. I have tried abranet - it works well for defect free wood, but a lot of my turning is burl and the inclusions break the abranet loose from the velcro interface pad. I had found a couple of posts about 3M Cubitron Net and 3M Cubitron II. The reviews were very good. There is some test data that rates both of these high. Below is a link to the test.

https://forum.shopsmith.com/download/file.php?id=50421
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 03-27-2022 at 6:27 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I swear by Indasa rhynogrit discs from 2”-5” sanders.

Many people swear by Vince’s blues - enough that I question my own experience that the indasas are far superior in cutting speed and longevity.

Abranet is great but they work best with dust collection or else the pad gets hot. You really have to use them with a disposable interface pad.

I've tried a bunch of different discs from Industrial Abrasives, Vince's WoodnWonders, Norton, Mirka, Craft Supplies, Klingspor, Woodturners Wonders, and Uneeda. Here's my experience and opinion:

1. Industrial Abrasives have inconsistent grit size and leave deep sanding scratches that are hard to remove. I bought these through my club as part of a group buy program and have finally used them all up. The coarser grits worked fine for sanding stone inlays when I didn't care what happened to the disc. I would buy these again because I can get them cheap through our club but only in 60 or 80 grit to use specifically as the first grit to sand inlays where I don't care what happens to them.

2. Norton Dry Ice and A275 from The Sanding Glove are both good. Dry Ice are ceramic and super expensive. A275 are at the top of my list as far as velcro strength, consistent grit size, and longevity, but I have a new favorite instead.

3. Klingspor Stearated are good and also at the top of my list. The AZ Plus Zirconia didn't seem to last any longer sanding stone inlay than regular discs. The Latex discs look promising but I haven't tried them. I got some brown paper back discs from another woodturner but the paper backing is super thick and stiff. I don't see these on their website anymore which is a good thing (they also didn't last long).

4. I tried some Mirka Gold one time and they wore out quickly. Good thing I got them as a free sample!

5. From Craft Supplies I've used Apprentice, Premium Green, and Deerfos. Apprentice are good and were used in the classroom the last time I took a class there. Green were OK although unused new discs sitting in my drawer had the backing separate after a couple years. Deerfos are excellent and what I use now. Deerfos are made by Uneeda and I buy them from Vince's WoodnWonders who sells them under the FilmTek name for a cheaper price than Craft Supply.

6. Vince's WoodnWonders. I've tried the Green Flex and Blue Flex and both are good and nearly identical. I settled on the Green Flex because they were available in standard 2" and 3" size in addition to oversized. The Green Flex oversized are still available but the standard sizes have been replaced with FilmTek (which is made by Uneeda). Uneeda has the strongest H&L I've ever used, the grit consistency through all grits is the most consistent of any brand, they can be used wet or dry, and the flexible backing is durable and of course flexible. I don't mind paying extra for good quality but you don't have to with these premium discs as they are the same as the green or blue flex. They are definitely my vote for best value.

Vince also sells Elkasilk sponges (made by Uneeda) but I haven't tried them.
    I tried SIA Speed discs from Vince but they don't last very long.
    I also tried Zirconia Max years ago and they are much too stiff and the velcro isn't very good.

7. I've tried Purple Power discs from Woodturners Wonders and they are terrible. They don't last at all and you'll use up 2 or 3 discs to do the same job that 1 disc of any other brand will do.

I'm sold on the FilmTek from Vince and bought a full range of grits in 2" and 3". For oversized discs I get the Green Flex from Vince. FilmTek are no more expensive than any of the other discs I've tried and you can't beat the quality, grit consistency, and longevity. I'm almost done using up my assortment of other brands and look forward to finally putting an end to my never ending quest for the best disc.
    Last edited by Pat Scott; 03-28-2022 at 3:07 PM. Reason: edited, 1" and 5" are Blue Flex, not FilmTek.

My only experience is Big box stuff, Festool , Mirka Abranet

Obviously the big box is garbage. From there I bought up a bunch of festool granite when I bought one of their sanders. It was a huge upgrade but it is very pricey for a hobbyist especially if you need 5&6" plus rts400. I ended up picking up a sample pack of Abranet on a whim and liked it It seemed to last longer. From there I sold my festool 5" and bought a mirka It came with 5&6" pads and 200 6" disks

So I run abranet mostly as it seems to last longer. I only have it in 80,120,180,240 So outside those I use Festool

I keep hearing about the 3m cubitron air. But have heard from a friend they dont last as long as the abranet. but are far cheeper so ???

I cannot find Cubitron in 2or3” disks. And the turning stores don’t carry it. So perhaps it not being made, yet. I also have used the Deerfos that Craft Supply sells and was impressed with their longevity. Thank you Pat Scott for detailing your experience and experiments with sanding disks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I cannot find Cubitron in 2or3” disks.
    The Sanding Glove sells 3M Cubitron in 2", 3", and 5":

w w w.thesandingglove.com/3M-Cubitron-Ceramic-Abrasive-Discs.asp
    (remove the spaces between www)

While I do have a stock of the blue discs, I rarely power sand. Prior to my entry into turning in 2009 I built furniture and longrifles. I have bought from these folks for 20-25 years and their grit seems very consistent (a critical quality) and the price for 9x11 sheets is very reasonable. I get the platinum up to 320 and the silicon carbide from 400 on up and tear it into approximately 2x2 squares on the edge of my tablesaw. Great for sanding on the lathe.

https://www.onlineindustrialsupply.c...er-sheets.html

Left click my name for homepage link.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I have been using the blue discs from VinceswoodNwonders for years. He used to send me a lot of different samples of abrasives to try out, and I always went back to the blue discs. They cut longer and faster than any others I have tried. Have little experience with the Abranet discs, which are the only others I would try. Did try some a while ago, and as near as I could tell, in grits up to about 220, the standard abrasives cut better than the open weave ones. Above 220 there was no difference that I could see. Supposedly they last a lot longer. Vince's discs are over sized, 3 3/8 and 2 3/8, though I think he has standard sizes also. They over lap the sides of the pad, and are excellent for getting into the curves. I did try some wave discs years ago, the red aluminum oxide ones, and they didn't come close to the blue discs Vince has.

robo hippy
    I agree with Robo.
    I get all my sanding supplies from Vince and have never regretted it. You can also contact Vince and he will answer all your questions and totally educate you on sand paper. I like the Blue disk and will continue using them. Check out Vince’s site.

Have been using Vince's blue for a long time now. Also some of his pink, but can't see that he sells that anymore. Happy with both.

Abrasives is no more than $1 on a $200 bowl, so performance is more important than cost.

Haven't looked at alternatives for a long time as I still have many years of supply left. I buy in bulk when I do as shipping across the pond adds quite a bit to the overall cost
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...