Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM16 Throat Plate Replacement

MM16 Throat Plate Replacement

The throat plate on my MM16 (2007) sags and needs to be replaced. Wondering if anyone has a source for this (other than SCM) or has 3D printed one? Thanks in advance!
    Izzy

Can you provide a drawing for the plate?

I've always made bandsaw throat plates out of aluminum plate. You can get 6"x6" or so pieces of aluminum plate in various thicknesses on eBay and they will provide enough to make 4 or more throat plates for any saw I've worked on, though I'm not familiar with Euro saws and maybe they are different. It's easy to cut the aluminum to size with a jigsaw and then sand it to a final fit on a belt or a disc sander. My current 18" bandsaw is an old Parks and it has to have a pin to keep the plate from turning in the hole, so I drilled and tapped a hole in the aluminum and screwed in a brass screw that I had sanded down to the right diameter. Once the threads were bottomed out I hit the screw between a hammer and anvil, and locked it in place.

When I got my used MM16 the throat plate was dished and cracked. I built it up with thickened epoxy.

I designed and 3d printed one, i can get you the file but not sure how to get it to you. Can they be attached in a dm?

D4C13615-68CB-493B-9439-79EAC5E47C93.jpg754AA00C-5174-4F08-9DBC-BF5A4691981A.jpgA15F55CD-1A9E-4707-8FAF-5D2E9C31C945.jpg

I built one from a few scraps of baltic birch plywood. Or if you don't have baltic birch, any hardwood will do.

Material and method doesn't really matter...it just needs to level up to the table and it should be perforated like the OEM insert to assist with dust collection air flow.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the same saw and have made replacement inserts with baltic birch ply and hardwood as others have suggested. Quick and easy to make, and they have served me better than the factory insert did.

As nice as the MM16 is, they cheeped out on the throat plate. I destroyed mine doing some resawing. You will likely need to contact SCM for a replacement or find someone with a 3D printer setup. I have metal working equipment, so I elected to make one out of some ¼” brass plate: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ax-16-Weakness
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I made a 2 piece wood throat plate for both my Hema and Aggazani saws. With extra inserts to keep it fresh and for different blades.

E3D54187-2BE2-4328-9768-29094B17BB28.jpg
    9E137BD9-86B9-4587-9E4A-C2A488259FD4.jpg

Hi Mark,
    I sent you a PM
    Izzy

Mark.
    If you have the STL file, it would be fantastic to share it......
    We all seem to struggle with this insert

Mark sent me his STL file back in April. I printed one last night. Izzy message me your address and I will drop it in the mail to you. Frank
    MM16 Throat Plate - 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Necaise View Post
    Mark sent me his STL file back in April. I printed one last night. Izzy message me your address and I will drop it in the mail to you. Frank
    MM16 Throat Plate - 1.jpg
    guys, i have a laser and can make these from 1/4” baltic if we think that would work. happy to make for others on the creek. can someone send me the file?

I missed this, PM me your email and i will sent it. I don’t think there is a way to send via SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by edward kinslade View Post
    Mark.
    If you have the STL file, it would be fantastic to share it......
    We all seem to struggle with this insert