Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MM16 Throat Plate Replacement

FWIW, the holes will help with air flow only when the stock is narrow enough to allow them to remain open. Any piece that covers the holes will shut them off. And have you (collective, no one in particular) every considered how few CFM can flow through those little holes. No much. What's more important is how the air comes into the dust collection system below the table. That's where the teeth are carrying the dust and the only place it can be removed from the blade. Above the table the dust is trapped in the kerf.

The insert plate will be stronger w/o holes.

John

Sure, I find the holes somewhat effective as and will leave them. Also it’s strong enough although my print is made on a Markforged printer which prints with reinforced chopped carbon fibre, not sure about other pedestrian type printers

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    FWIW, the holes will help with air flow only when the stock is narrow enough to allow them to remain open. Any piece that covers the holes will shut them off. And have you (collective, no one in particular) every considered how few CFM can flow through those little holes. No much. What's more important is how the air comes into the dust collection system below the table. That's where the teeth are carrying the dust and the only place it can be removed from the blade. Above the table the dust is trapped in the kerf.

The insert plate will be stronger w/o holes.

John

David, If you do make a batch of these I'd be interested in purchasing one. I'm assuming that it would fit my MM20 also. I don't have the ability to create a solid model though.
    The Plane Anarchist

Mark. I reached out to you for the file - thanks.
    You could also put it on 'Thingiverse' there is a Universe of woodworking related prints on that site.
    Cheers
    Ed

I fully understand the reason for the holes, but why on earth is the throat plate so deep (thick)?
    Every time I am performing an operation that requires me to tilt the table any more than a scant 3 or 4 degrees, that deep throat plate is a problem and needs to come out.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 01-07-2023 at 4:42 PM.

Edwin, the ribbing on the MM Centauro built bandsaws are very deep, Centauro unfortunately chose that the throat plate is secured at the bottom edge of the the table ribbing, hence why the stupid throat plate is so thick. If the throat blade was secured in a rebate at the top of the table, a much thinner plate could be used..
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 01-07-2023 at 5:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    As nice as the MM16 is, they cheeped out on the throat plate. I destroyed mine doing some resawing. You will likely need to contact SCM for a replacement or find someone with a 3D printer setup. I have metal working equipment, so I elected to make one out of some ¼” brass plate: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ax-16-Weakness
    That is a very nice looking insert. Since the saw table is cast iron, it would appear that yo could securely hold the brass insert you made in place with a couple of rare earth magnets set into holes in the insert.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee. The weight of the brass and a snug fit keeps the throat plate in place very well. I rarely ever tilt the table but I don’t think it would be a problem if/when I do.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney