Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apron back strap. What do you like?

Blog Entries
    For me, over the shoulders with the X in the back feels much better than around the neck and around the waist. The H looks good too. I wore my bibs today. I am having an unpleasant feeling on one of the two most tender parts on my chest. You know you are getting old when...
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-26-2022 at 8:46 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I saw an apron worn by one of the hosts of a home improvement show. It was leather and had a shoulder yoke that covered most of the back of his shoulder. I've searched and finally gave up. the apron may have been custom made...

I wear an X-model from Duluth. It has wide straps, metal clips and I do not know I have it on. Very comfortable. I should wear it more often but generally only when paint, finish, etc.

Have both and like the X much more. Sizing is just as important though. I'd get a cheap one and edit it if you have basic sewing abilities, then order a real one from Calavera leather.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I wear an X-model from Duluth. It has wide straps, metal clips and I do not know I have it on. Very comfortable. I should wear it more often but generally only when paint, finish, etc.
    I've been considering that one for quite some time to use during glue-ups which is pretty much the only time I get "more permanent stuff" on my shop clothing anyway. Almost everything I wear is from them, so...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also have the X-model from Duluth with nice heavy duty canvas (a gift from my wife). Once I get the straps adjusted properly, I can slip it on and off over my head without fooling around re-adjusting the straps.
    What I don't like about it is the metal clips where the straps attach to the sides of the apron. I wanted an apron that I could through into the washing machine when needed, but I'm concerned that the clips will scrape up the inside of the washer. So last week I spent a half-hour hand washing it.

Blog Entries
    My issue with aprons (I have that Duluth) was that depending on what I have in various pockets, I sometimes was getting jabbed/pinched when bending down or squatting. My small square for example was poking my thigh at times, and a longer pencil in the chest pocket almost got me in the neck once. Perhaps I have the wrong fit, but the issue was consistent enough that I gave up on wearing it... instead I have a couple pairs of Duluth fire hose pants and some ratty t-shirts that are dedicated to the shop so I don't care how messy they get.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Bob, that's why if I did choose to start using an apron for glue-ups, etc., I frankly wouldn't use the pockets other than maybe for a pencil. I tend to use a tool and put it back immediately, anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wanted to get something for use while sitting and carving; for example chip carving. I dropped a chisel once (doing dovetails) and it took a nice slice out of my calf. I do not expect an apron to cover my calf, but, if I am sitting and I drop something, I don't want to hit something in my thigh and bleed out.