Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apron back strap. What do you like?

Apron back strap. What do you like?

Going to pick up a new woodworking apron. I have it down to the two styles shown. Very similar other than the back strap.
    The "H" style back is the one I first picked out. The other is the traditional "X" style.
    Anyone have ether style and likes or dislikes?
    Going by the number of Amazon reviews, the "H: style is the best seller by far.
    Apron1.jpgApron2.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I can't resize the photos nor do I use an apron, but they both look like they would be comfortable. Does the "H" style also have the clippy-clasp thingie? I really like that feature...anything like this I've ever tried required tying behind my back. I also wonder if the "H" style adjusts better for different physical stature up top compared to the basic cross. People really vary in how wide their upper chests are. The one thing I like about both is they are not hanging on one's neck!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I prefer the X style.
    In my experience the H style leaves the straps right on my shoulder blades and is uncomfortable. The X style sits neatly in the center between the shoulder blades and you barely notice its there. This is of course my preference and all body types are different

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I can't resize the photos nor do I use an apron, but they both look like they would be comfortable. Does the "H" style also have the clippy-clasp thingie? I really like that feature...anything like this I've ever tried required tying behind my back. I also wonder if the "H" style adjusts better for different physical stature up top compared to the basic cross. People really vary in how wide their upper chests are. The one thing I like about both is they are not hanging on one's neck!

Yes they each have a clasp in the back to take off.
    The "H" style apron has a metal tape measure clip I like. The "X" does not.
    Im just concerned the "H" shoulder straps may want to slide off the shoulder ???????? But again it gets very good reviews.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I prefer the X style.
    In my experience the H style leaves the straps right on my shoulder blades and is uncomfortable. The X style sits neatly in the center between the shoulder blades and you barely notice its there. This is of course my preference and all body types are different

Thanks Edward
    - Rick Dale

Is there any adjustability to the top cross piece for the "H" design or is it fixed?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I never understood the need for an apron for woodworking. I would think it gets in the way.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I like an apron when I'm working with hand tools, finishing, or doing glue ups. Oh, also when it's under 80° in the shop. I prefer the x style.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

My wife who does the laundry, pointed out the need for an apron Having worn one for couple of years I really like having my mechanical pencil, 6” rule, tape measure, dust collector remote switch and other items close at hand on the apron.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I never understood the need for an apron for woodworking. I would think it gets in the way.
    Hi Justin, I find it keeps my clothes clean and prevents my shirt from catching on stuff…..Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I like the criss cross, wrap around, tie in the back, for in the shop and for light carpentry. I also have and like Hickory stripe bibs with the zip on pouch, I am trying to avoid the nail apron, however the seat belt buckle works best.

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 7.11.45 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 7.14.20 AM.jpg IMG_0468.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Prefer the X style since they don’t slip down my shoulder. Be careful of the metal hammer loops or tape measure holders…. They can drag across cabinets and tools and scratch all your hard work.

I thought I would find the metal tape loop helpful, except for when I kept frequently bumping the tape off and it always seems to fall to the least reachable location possible. I have the H back and it took a little bit of adjustment to get it to the right spot, but works well. I started wearing an apron to avoid dragging the sawdust back into the house and to keep glue and stain splatter off my clothing. I wear it most of the time in the shop to keep pencils, measuring, and small squares handy. Also gives me a place to put my reading glasses if I take them off.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

I should wear mine more but always seem to forget. I have the X straps but unless I slide the x leather holder way up towards my neck I will have my right strap fall off while using a plane. It is convenient to have a pen, square and tape at my side.

Blog Entries
    I've had a couple of aprons with the X style & like it a lot. I'm never really aware of the straps, which means they are doing their job. I've never tried the H style.