Thread: Raised Panel Door for Federal Style Project

Raised Panel Door for Federal Style Project

I am in process of making (2) doors for a Federal influenced cabinet project
    Would it be correct for Federal doors to have the raised panel proud of the
    door frame/rails and stiles? Any specific spec on how much proud? 1/8", 1/4", 1/2"
    Any info appreciated.

They are often called “off-set” panels . I like 1/4 inch . Sometimes the design will also include a bead , but I think it looks better without
    the bead.

Mel
    Thanks for input. I did a fair amount of Googling on subject
    but did not come up with any specific info. Going out to shop shortly
    and check how much the panels are sticking out from frames.
    Don't know the dimension but know it looks a little heavy as is.

Mike, for further reference, I searched through a few of my books on period furniture. The vast majority of pieces have drawers and doors flush with the face frame, often offset with cock beading. I couldn’t find one example of a raised panel anything. In some cases, the drawers or doors are actually inset a small amount from the face frame molding. There was one Chippendale piece that appears to have a raised panel door, but hard to tell from the picture, and certainly not clear enough to give you a measurement.

Blog Entries
    +1 to Phils comments. Don’t think raised panel construction is typical of the Federal style. Tends to rely more on flat surfaces decorated with veneer, string inlay etc.

OK here's my cover story
    I only claimed Federal Influence not strict adherence to the Federal style.
    This piece would at best be called Folk Art (in Antique Roadshow lingo)
    not fine furniture like Mr. Allen and some of you other fellers.
    In any event, the deal has gone down with raised panels in the doors
    The influence is repesented by the profile of apron (which was taken from a piece
    on the internet represented as Federal) and the reeding on the pilasters
    in the interior back of the cabinet as shelf supports. I will post pics at completion.
    Yeah I know I need to re-up dues to have pic-posting capability.
    I wanted to do raised panels to see how that could be accomplished w/ equipment
    in my shop (and, of course, ability of shop inhabitant to use same)
    For what little it might be worth, the raised panel pieces were planed down
    so that they are not as prominent as they were.
    Thanks to Phil and Mike, your information will be stored away for future reference.

One little note: The Shakers used a raised panel..except the "raised" part was on the inside of their doors....leaving a flat panel to show on the outside of the doors...

So..IF you are set on raised panels for doors...turn the panel to the inside....

Note#2: Entry and passage doors....the raised panels were 2 panels, back to back....a fancy raised panel to the outside, and a simpler raised panel to the inside of the doors...neither were glue in place, or to each other...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Mike, sounds like a wonderful piece. Please share it when you can. Look forward to seeing it.

Blog Entries
    Mike please know absolutely no judgement from me! I love raised panels- to me one of indicators of handmade furniture!
    some of my favorite pieces blend elements of different styles. You do you brother- more power to you! Look forward to seeing your progress!’
    Cheers, Mike