Thread: I tried doing the Youtube thing (Saw build)

I tried doing the Youtube thing (Saw build)

I've always wanted to start recording my work, both in order to share it with anyone else who is interested, and to record it for myself to reference at a later date.

So, I started doing so with zero production quality, because I don't have time for editing or doing retakes.

I took a series of videos of my latest saw build, for anyone interested.

Beware, as I blabber too much. I think next time I should just shut up and record myself. I think I try to give far too much instruction for a would be beginner watching, where-as, realistically, I don't think anyone attempting this build would need, say, any explanation on how to chop a mortise... But anyway, if you can bare through my cringey narration and low quality video, and are interested in attempting such a build, hopefully there's some useful information in here as a result of my accumulation of experience building these things!

The playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...jI0GFkzuPd5XAF

[Edit: links to individual videos are messed up, so you'll just have to view the playlist I guess]

There doesn't seem to be too much interest in tackling this project judging from my other posts, but I have to say, I really love these saws and want to encourage other people to give them a try. A small, lightweight bowsaw with a thin blade is really, really nice to have, and also quite easy to use in comparison to larger and much heavier, typical Continental European style saws. And the way that you are able to grip the chinese style saws with long bolts (gripping around the bolt, three fingers above and the pinky finger below the bolt) allows you to hold the saw much more in-line with the blade.

I'm really, really happy with these saws and prefer them now to both my western tenon / dovetail saws, and my Japanese Ryouba and Douzuki. I've finally got them exactly where I want in terms of the design of the frame and blade.

Anyway, if anyone builds one of these along the lines that I present here, I'd love to know! And any constructive criticism, either in regards to my methods and design, or video presentation is very welcomed.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 03-24-2022 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks for the video link, I'll definitely check it out.

Blog Entries
    But anyway, if you can bare through my cringey narration and low quality video
    You would be surprised to know my videos are from an older camera and are of such low quality YouTube now warns me the format is obsolete.

The quality of your one take, unedited video is fine.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm also interested in your videos. If you haven't mentioned it in them, It'd be beneficial to know where to source the blades. Thanks!

The video quality looked fine to me!

One thing I will commend you on is not putting annoying fancy introduction clips or talking endlessly at the beginning of the video. The video of yours that I looked at started and you immediately went to work... this is the way it should be! Pretty much every YouTube video I watch I start at the 1:00 minute mark and often have to advance quickly to the actual content from there which is VERY annoying!

Personally I would never sit through watching videos of that length. One of the reasons I don't make videos of my work to post on YouTube is because the post processing of raw footage to a meaningful condensed video is more time consuming than actually completing the project.

I don't know how all the YouTube video guys do there post production? I wonder if they do it themselves or if they have someone else do it?

Blog Entries
    I see some of that type of steel at MSC Industrial supply. Mostly in large rolls.
    Also "liked" and "subscribed" on youTube
    Best Regards, Maurice

Not starting the videos with loud rock music is a huge plus too.

I think it's a fantastic resource to have available on YT, and it was extremely generous of you to share your knowledge and teach how to make such a tool.
    I also think you're overly concerned about video quality & your editing / presentation skills.

My 2 cents: Make the content available, convey as much info as possible (don't worry about being too long-winded, we all know how to fast-forward if we need to do so, but there's no button for "more detailed explanation, please") and if there's some big problem, people will let you know in the comments, and you can choose to address their concerns or not, as you see fit.

Looking forward to your next series!

I watched a couple so far and I can say, I agree with the other posts.
    This is what separates you, (a woodworker) from "content creators".
    Keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    I am inspired to try creating a blade. I have had the files, a set, and instructions for several years, as yet unused. I have several old bow saw blades, the tree limb kind, I will try flipping one over and perhaps grinding off the "tree saw" teeth, or at least grinding away the set. Unlike the videos it will be noisy and not very Zen.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-26-2022 at 9:10 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Wow, thanks guys! I didn't expect such a positive response.

I'll try to keep making videos along the same lines and just improve little by little.

I was definitely hoping to appeal to this crowd (people who are actually woodworkers) and not just become another "content creator." I get a lot of value from such channels (people like David W. for instance).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You would be surprised to know my videos are from an older camera and are of such low quality YouTube now warns me the format is obsolete.

The quality of your one take, unedited video is fine.

jtk
    Thanks!
    By the way, I'd love to check out your channel! Could you post a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    I'm also interested in your videos. If you haven't mentioned it in them, It'd be beneficial to know where to source the blades. Thanks!
    I mentioned in my videos, but spring tempered steel in 0.3 and 0.5 mm thicknesses and 20mm or 30mm widths is quite commonly available here in Japan. And, decent tool steel too: generally SK-5 and such (the same steel as is commonly used in commercial Japanese saws). I don't know what people normally use it for, but it's the perfect steel and in the perfect dimensions for bow-saw blades!

When I was in America, I special ordered it online from a source that someone here informed me of, but it was a bit more expensive. Still, well worth it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can offer suggestions as to where and what to buy in the U.S. -- I recommend a spring tempered steel anywhere between low to mid 40's and low 50's HRC and about 0.4mm or 1/64" / 0.156" thick for a blade the size and thickness like I'm using (roughly 18" long, and fine teeth / set for finer woodworking). If you want a longer blade, say 21" or 24"+, go with something slightly thicker. You can go just a hair thinner as I do (0.3mm) but only for shorter blades, and it will require a slightly more delicate touch as a thin blade can get quite "twisty"

EDIT: Looking back on my old thread from 2016, it looks like I sourced some 1075 or 1095 spring steel from here when I was in America https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-spring-steel-sheets/

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I see some of that type of steel at MSC Industrial supply. Mostly in large rolls.
    Also "liked" and "subscribed" on youTube
    Probably makes a great bow-saw blade! Let us know how it works if you try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mitchell View Post
    I think it's a fantastic resource to have available on YT, and it was extremely generous of you to share your knowledge and teach how to make such a tool.
    I also think you're overly concerned about video quality & your editing / presentation skills.

My 2 cents: Make the content available, convey as much info as possible (don't worry about being too long-winded, we all know how to fast-forward if we need to do so, but there's no button for "more detailed explanation, please") and if there's some big problem, people will let you know in the comments, and you can choose to address their concerns or not, as you see fit.

Looking forward to your next series!
    Very good points! And thanks! I'll try to keep recording my builds!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I am inspired to try creating a blade. I have had the files, a set, and instructions for several years, as yet unused. I have several old bow saw blades, the tree limb kind, I will try flipping one over and perhaps grinding off the "tree saw" teeth, or at least grinding away the set. Unlike the videos it will be noisy and not very Zen.
    By all means, give it a try! I do think it is easier and results in a more satisfying end product to just order some steel in the exactly the dimensions and type that you want, but an old garden bowsaw blade might be a good thing to practice on, indeed! I've certainly had the same idea in the past but didn't have an angle grinder or anything, so it was easier for me to just order spring steel strips online.

Blog Entries
    Here is a possible source for steel the 24 inch is .028 thick and would yield 1/2 wide. The 12 inch is .030 thick and could make 9/16 wide

DSCN1877.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice