Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best trim router?

Best trim router?

I'm in the market for a new trim router (will be posting my current for sale soon)...

What do you all think it's the best? I am using this primarily for flush trimming patterns but of course would prefer for it to have multi functionality.... just looking for something that is small format and powerful enough to cut Baltic birch.

Thanks.

Flush trimming is a bit beyond the intended purpose of a trim router.

I am a fan of the DeWalt 611, I have three and wouldn't mind having one or two more.

Ditto re the DeWalt 611. I have 2. I think of them as 'The Kids' and love them both equally.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post

Depends on what you’re trimming. 1-3mm edgeband will be fine. Cleaning up a built up Corian edge could be problematic.

DeWalt 611 for the trifecta win.

What trim router are you using now and what don't you like about it?

I have a very old Porter Cable trim router that is very small and it has always done everything I have asked of it. My cordless Dewalt DCW600B is nice and compact yet plenty powerful, I would say more powerful than my corded old Porter Cable trim router. I do enjoy not having to work around a cord more than I thought I would when I bought the DCW600B.

I like small routers and use them a lot because there small size makes them handy, maneuverable and easy to manipulate. There are some places that I find I have to use a mid sized router but not very often. For the most part my big Porter Cable 3.5hp router is only used in a table.

71vT5i9qi5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-24-2022 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Changed to correct model number.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I have to humbly disagree... been doing this for 20 years and have never had an issue with using a trim router for this... it's in the name....

But maybe you're just doing it differently. I am primarily cleaning up wood 1/2-3/4 thick and usually cleaning around 1/16 occasionally more.... when heavier just do multiple passes.

Currently using a Bosch and there's plenty good about it but the square base doesn't suit my work well... would prefer round with one straight edge and I have never got along with the spindle lock.

Been thinking about the 611 but wanted to see what people think.

I actually like the Ridgid trim router. It is the only orange Ridgid tool I own that isn't a shop vacuum (I have a bunch of red Ridgid plumbing tools). The main thing I like about it is that the on switch protrudes from the flat top of the router, so you can set it on the bench upside down to turn it off. If/when I get another corded trim router, I would probably get a second one of these. If I went cordless, I would get Makita, since all my other cordless tools are Makita

Kurt,

I have the Bosch variable speed model and like its performance. I like the square base for registration but understand the desire for a round base for certain applications.

Have you considered making an auxiliary round sub-base from polycarbonate material?

Regards,

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    Kurt,

I have the Bosch variable speed model and like its performance. I like the square base for registration but understand the desire for a round base for certain applications.

Have you considered making an auxiliary round sub-base from polycarbonate material?

Regards,

J.
    Jacques, how do find dealing with the spindle lock?... mine never held well from day one and I've always had to use a tool to hold it down to be able to tighten the collet enough.

I've got 3 of the Bosch 12v routers, 1 Milwaukee M18 router, 1 Dewalt 611, a Festool 1400, a Milwaukee 3.5hp, etc. I love the Bosch 12v, they get used 80% of the time. They can handle up to 1/4" roundover fine, for reference. They can do trimming like you describe, though they won't be as fast as a more powerful unit. The Milwaukee is my cordless for bigger cuts.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Kurt,

You raised a good point which made me realize that my needs/preferences as a hobbyist are most likely different than yours. I can live with the spindle lock - I sometimes use the « spindle lock button » and other times use two wrenches. Probably not ideal for your context in spite a being a good tool.

Got several.

The Bosch Colt is OK, but my least favorite. A bit more awkward to adjust for height, and I often tend to hold it too near to the open area where the bit is.

The Makita 18V is very nice, and I use it a lot.

Favorite is the DeWalt 611 though, and there are jigs available to use with my Track Saw track. Probably available for others, but I already have the DeWalt jigs.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Best trim router?
    Best for me is the 18V Makita cordless.
    LiIon and brushless motors are game changers when it comes to power.

Side by side, the 18V Makita has a noticeable increase in power over my DeWalt 611(which I dearly love & can't seem to part with) and/or the corded Makita trim router kit I also picked up just to get the plunge base.

"Trim" routers have come a long way since just a few years ago when there was the Colt & used PC 310's & I've noticed more and more people have taken to using small cordless routers.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

Best for me is the 18V Makita cordless.
    LiIon and brushless motors are game changers when it comes to power.

Side by side, the 18V Makita has a noticeable increase in power over my DeWalt 611(which I dearly love & can't seem to part with) and/or the corded Makita trim router kit I also picked up just to get the plunge base.
    I have exactly this and like it a lot. It is my first choice for routing operations that are not on the router table. I only go up to the larger units if a larger bit, that can not be run on the table. The most used router in my shop