Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    What sort of details are you looking for...ask for those, and I can see what I can do....

That "grainy" look is from you enlarging my photos, after I had to shrink them down to fit on this site.....max "pixel" count this site allows me to post..is 499 pixels for the longest dimension of a photo..

The Tool Crib I work out of....
    I upload 2+ megabyte jpeg photo files and the site resizes them for me, there is no need to "resize" your photos. The file for the photo below was 3.02 MB before uploading.
    IMG_8729.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yet mine never show, except for that line of blue lettering, and an "Invalid...see Admin..." b;urb

test..
    KK 4c, side view.jpg
    Keen Kutter No. KK4c
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Just like a sharpening thread, ain't it.

Back to just wondering:

How many out there use either of these two items?
    Attachment 476626
    Or...even know what they are.
    "Or...even know what they are." ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿Qué?????????????????

It would surprise me if there are a few who visit SMC that didn't know what they are. Many here have provided documentation on restoring them from rust hunts.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-28-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Yes, JK, I also restore a LOT of "Rusty & Krusty" tools....been at it for over 40 years....

A lot of my rehabs tend to get shipped out to those that need a tool....they merely pay the postage ( mostly I do) as I am a big fan of "Paying it Forward".....
    As have many others here… mostly without the need to be condescending.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

hmmm..that wasn't warranted, now was it, from you.

Just Wondering..
    Carpenters.jpg
    What this crew would have said.....as I tend to identify more with them...than Ivory Tower Residents...

BTW: the shop is normally closed on Mondays...have better things to do...

Have fun....

Blog Entries
    Yet mine never show, except for that line of blue lettering, and an "Invalid...see Admin..." b;urb

test..
    KK 4c, side view.jpg
    Keen Kutter No. KK4c
    Looks like it worked....be aware that: Uploaded photos not used within one hour will be deleted. The problem I see with the photo you just posted is that you are trying to get a close up with a camera that can't focus at that short distance. Note how the chisel handles in the back ground are clearer than the hand plane in front.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    hmmm..that wasn't warranted, now was it, from you.
    So you deleted your post after my reply. You even deleted the image.

Seems like once again a master of the art coaxed me to fall for his baiting.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    So you deleted your post after my reply. You even deleted the image.

Seems like once again a master of the art coaxed me to fall for his baiting.

jtk
    My post where I commented on his comments was also deleted (Dereks is gone too). So it wasn't him. Either way, there's an ignore function, and I'm now using it.

I'm kind of upset about the methods of moderation in this case though. Let's just pretend it didn't happen.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Suit yourself....

Sooo..do you intend to place the Moderator who did the ACTUAL deleting on "Ignore", then?

Just wondering...

My gosh, what an interesting discussion. Debating weither owning x number of smoothing planes + y number of block planes + z number of eggbeater drills makes one more than/less a woodworker than just owning a premium smoothing plane, a premium block plane, a fret saw, a, dovetail saw, etc. I have a picture of Roy Underhill using a Veritas spokeshave in Kelly Mehler’s shop about 12 years ago in case anyone is still wondering if he doesn’t also use tools from the 21st century. Look at this workbench made last Saturday-I was there, do you think anyone was asking what tools were ‘needed’ to build this bench? https://blog.lostartpress.com/2022/03/28/ask-for-help/

Forgot to mention, those are Owl auger bits from the 21st century used in a North Bros. brace from the 20th century, so it’s not like one needs to be in one world or another.

As a suggestion, use the tools that bring you joy in your shop and don’t worry about what what others are doing.
    Last edited by J. Greg Jones; 03-28-2022 at 7:43 PM.

Don’t feed the trolls…

I do have a Bandsaw
    I do have both a corded Circular saw and a cordless one...and a 8" Tablesaw...

I do have several electric drills some corded, some cordless....

I do have several electric sanders..palm, ROS, Belt, and a Disc/Belt sander...

There are 3 routers in the shop with cords...along with the Stanley #71-1/2

Currently working on a stand, with 5 drawers for storage..for my H-F Bench Top Drill Press..
    Bank of drawers, 5 drawers made.JPG

The Dungeon Woodworking Shop is a Hybrid shop...I use the tools that I think will work the best for the tasks I wish to do...

Currently trying to see IF this style of handle will work for those 5 drawers...
    Bank of drawers, possible handle.JPG
    Might need a jig made up, to better align all 5 handles...

After all...it is all about making these...
    Bank of drawers, Pho, anyone.JPG
    And..having a wee bit of FUN doing it....YMMV
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-29-2022 at 7:25 AM. Reason: Removed innapropriate remarks

I never ever post memes anywhere, and don't care for them much, but...

I felt it might be appropriate here:

84b1f549b0686e48bc4cc090dcb55fbfd921aded792a6f6ab9cde702ba574ae7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    My post where I commented on his comments was also deleted (Dereks is gone too). So it wasn't him. Either way, there's an ignore function, and I'm now using it.

I'm kind of upset about the methods of moderation in this case though. Let's just pretend it didn't happen.
    My post was deleted without any discussion. I resent this enormously. Lee - are you the Moderator here?

We are not children and I do not believe that the comments had come close to losing control. They were directed but considered.

The upshot is that the one individual who was upsetting many others was empowered to continue along his way.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Still just wandering aloud....NOT attacking anyone....

Will still have 4 planks left over from that current Project...7/8" x 5-1/2" x 74"....and I am trying to think of a Project that could use JUST those four boards..

Kind of tired making boxes....building drawers is done for a while....Maybe a fancy-schmanzy Table of some sort?

I use something called The Single Brain Cell Sketch Up....sometimes, it will come up with a decent enough plan....just there isn't a way to hit "Print" and have a "Paper Plan" ...

Table....legs would have to be glue-ups....trying to decide how many boards would go into gluing up the top....since building the top is USUALLY step #1 to making a table....how wide to make the aprons? Drawer, or no drawer? Table top shape? Rectangle ...square....oval?

I need to get the latest Project done first, but......never hurts to plan ahead.....

IF I happen to NEED a couple extra planks....a 4/4 x 6x 10' Ash board runs me about ...$3 per board....just have to go on a 20 mile long round trip to pick them up....about a gallon of gas...

Yes, I am just wondering aloud...talking to meself, seems to work out best for me. Have gotten to the point that I can "see" in my mind's eye how a project should go..and how about getting it done.....takes a wee bit of practice....a few tweaks as I go along....maybe make a few scribbles on a sheet of paper.

This IS a Hobby to me....no time-clock involved, rarely any rush....not really interested in how fast something can be done. When I do worry about "How fast.." I usually start to make mistakes, get mad, and the fun goes away. Some may do this for a living, that is fine....I am retired, and looking for something to pass my "idle time" and have a wee bit of fun.

To quote Charlie Daniels : "If you don't like the way I'm living, then leave this long-haired Country Boy alone"

This thread was meant to be me just thinking out loud....too many try to put words in my mouth, or claim I did something....or claim I am a Master of some sort....

The stuff I build, is strictly for me, for my Family, and friends of my family.....I do not sell my projects...although I do give a lot of them away.

Just sit back and relax a while, sit a spell, take your shoes off....pour whatever glass you want. "Lighten up, Francis "