Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering..

Are the specialty tools necessary. Absolutely not.

But, specialty tools do help speed up the process, which can make the process more enjoyable. If using a fret saw can help me clear waste faster and I get to spend less time chopping and can move on to other aspects of the project, those tools are worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Hey Mike, Nice Moxon, great idea a couple of clamps and a scrap to keep things nice and straight. Good saw. The genius part is the tool box to elevate yourself not the work. You didn’t go buy a special stool to stand on.  Great job.
    Jim
    Thanks Jim! Working out of a chest has it's advantages

I fretted over that set of pins. Something about that 60" long case side.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Nope..no bait...just sitting here thinking out loud....resting up from a late night of drawer building....
    Do you ever use a power tool? Water powered or electric?

Go and read my build threads, sometime....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I know he doesn't always come off well, but I do really appreciate where steven is coming from here, in principal, as I have much the same philosophy: keeping it simple.

The issue is, especially for beginners, nobody shows how to do X Y or Z without a boat load of specialized tools, and people tend to think they need all of those specialized tools. There are a few exceptions to that rule, but I think most beginners still think you need way more than you actually do and struggle to find the "simple" version that focuses on a few core tools and skills.

Then there's also the camp that solves every problem with specialized tools and jigs. That's totally okay too, but not really my style and not helpful for someone looking for a more generalized approach using more of a "few core tools and skills" approach.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with having all of the tools you could ever want for any given situation, if you can afford, keep track of, maintain, and store them all. After many years of woodworking, many people will acquire such a large collection anyway I guess. Nothing wrong with using a lot of jigs, either. But the extent to which you do, and to which is practical or doable for each of us is different, and there's a lot to be said for a minimalist approach for, say, an apartment woodworker without a lot of space, or a beginner, or someone looking to focus on developing fundamental skills.

What you need for every day work is really quite small, and I love seeing people who approach woodworking this way -- using more generalized tools and methods which work everywhere and are extremely flexible. This is why I love watching Chinese woodworkers, or Japanese methods, as the workholding and tools used are typically fewer and simpler.

So, I don't make it a point to criticize really specialized methods, but I do really appreciate keeping it simple. And there certainly are a lot of more refined craftsmen with every tool you can imagine who tend to insist that you do need X, Y, or Z.

I often have the same struggle in programming, where everyone wants to use a mountain of libraries and frameworks to accomplish some simple task that doesn't need all of that complication. So it's like, "okay, learn this entire framework so you can make this super simple thing that shouldn't even require a framework." A never ending source of frustration when trying to find out how to do something the "simple" way.

All that said, even I have a lot of specialized tools that I use because of my situation. Noise constraints are a big one for any apartment woodworker such as myself, so I have a lot of very thin bladed saws, wonky workholding methods, and make use of things like my crude and simple moxon vise to hold work firmly and reduce vibrations that would otherwise annoy people. I'm sure plenty of other people have equally valid reasons to adopt specific / specialized tools or implements. It's just important to realize that those specializations / methods don't suit everybody, and aren't in any way necessary.

Same thing occurs with a lot of Martial Arts practitioners / teachers... Sometimes I much prefer the forms taught by my teacher's teacher, or teacher's teacher's teacher, because the later iterations have been refined and taken from more general to more specialized, and sometimes specialized in ways that I don't consider an improvement necessarily. For this reason, I really feel that generalized methods should be taught, and the specifics left up to each individual who can adapt those general methods for their specific purposes, where necessary. The worst thing of all is when one learns only a specific method and doesn't isn't aware of the more general one, often resulting in things being misunderstood and misapplied.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 03-25-2022 at 4:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    I often have the same struggle in programming, where everyone wants to use a mountain of libraries and frameworks to accomplish some simple task that doesn't need all of that complication. So it's like, "okay, learn this entire framework so you can make this super simple thing that shouldn't even require a framework." A never ending source of frustration when trying to find out how to do something the "simple" way.
    I have the same attitude and have a hard time convincing coworkers that sometimes the home-rolled solution that fulfils one specific need is, in the long run, a better solution than using the 2% of the functionality of a framework. Not only is it less complicated but we don't have to worry about vulnerabilities in the framework and constantly updating the libraries, etc.

So..today's tasks....in my Hybrid shop.

Set up the rip fence on my Craftsman 8" Tablesaw for a 10" wide rip cut, along the edge of a 1/4" x 24" x 48" plywood panel. Set the 14" strip aside, then cross cut the 10 by 48 strip into about 9-1/2" sections

Then trim to fit 5 drawers and glue those up....and hope there is enough room IN the shop for all of this to happen...

No "in-feed" nor "out-feed" stands...not a whole lot of room, either...on a Friday, to boot.

Yes, both of my Stanley 45s have that slitter iron.....rods can't quite reach in 10" from the edge of the panel

No, Hand saw will not work on this sort of operation..ever try it?

Clamp a straight edge along the cut line...pull the utility knife along that straightedge until the panel "snaps off"....

I MIGHT try a Disston D8 Panel saw for the cross cuts....10ppi shouldn't leave TOO rough of a cut....again...might NOT have the room in the shop for cross cutting at the bench with a handsaw on a thin panel that is now 48" wide

Can't trust the bandsaw to cut a straight line....usually more waves than the Irish Sea....

Looking like a "FUN" day....

Blog Entries
    Can't trust the bandsaw to cut a straight line....usually more waves than the Irish Sea....
    If a bandsaw can't cut 1/4" ply, it either needs a good tune up or a replacement.

My old bandsaw was very slow and could only re-saw 6". So it was replaced with a much better saw:

In Re-Saw Cut.jpg

Saw marks, not waves:

After the Bandsaw.jpg

Having a quality tool capable of doing the job can make all the difference in the world. Sometimes an experienced craftsman reaches for a better tool when one isn't doing a proper job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Go and read my build threads, sometime....
    I gotta tell you...I used to, when I joined. I have a lot to learn and you do a good job of explaining....but your pictures don't add anything to the build thread. They are so grainy...and they don't show any detail when clicked on.

Everyone else's pics expand to show detail when clicked. It would greatly benefit us if yours did as well.

If, for some reason, that can't be done, maybe do a second picture where you do a closeup of the thing you are explaining????

If, and a very BIG "IF" one has the cash to do such things...

rather than buy a drill/countersink bit at Lowes this morning, to go with the #4 x 3/4" screws I bought...I have a pilot hole drill bit in one eggbeater , and a countersink bit in a 6" sweep brace...

Not in a rush to get things done...leads to mistakes.

To even USE my bandsaw for this...I'd need 5' of space for the in-feed area ( counting my fat body standing there, beside it) and another 4'+ on the out-feed side....Bandsaw cuts 1/4" plywood with no problems...except it likes to wander a bit along the lines. Bandsaw also has a brand new blade on-board. More of problem of a lack of space around the saw...including that Langdon No. 74 sitting just beyond the outfeed side of the cast iron table of the bandsaw.

Resaws?
    Bank of drawers, resaw saw.JPG
    Old school works for me...

I run a woodshop, not a Photo Studio...

The Dungeon Woodworking Shop...welcome to my little world..
    The Dungeon Woodworking Shop, welcome.JPG
    Plywood panel stashed up out of the way...
    Line of sight through the bandsaw..
    The Dungeon Woodworking shop, line of sight.JPG
    Langdon No. 75 in the background..
    The Dungeon Woodworking Shop, just enough room.JPG
    Just enough room to clear the saw blade.. same amount as I have to stand in..
    The Dungeon Woodworking Shop, ME Space.JPG
    Fancy rip fence, with a hold-down in place
    The Dungeon Woodworking Shop, fence jig.JPG
    And..
    The Dungeon Woodworking Shop, done.JPG
    Just enough room.

Left it about 1/8" too wide..better than too narrow, eh? Then cross cut to 9-3/8" five times
    Bank of drawers, bottom fits.JPG
    First dry fit said I was that 1/8" too wide, trimmed that off, and this now fits.

Managed to get ONE drawer glued up, before having to haul the Boss and GrandBRAT to take the GrandBRAT home..

Bank of drawers, hand drills.JPG
    Hand drills used...pilot hole bit, and a countersink bit...

Too sore right now..back of the knee is having issues....

The ultimate irony; using a forum on the internet to wonder aloud about people using tools and materials that arent 100 years old...

I run a woodshop, not a Photo Studio...
    Jeez, I was only asking for some close ups of your work.

Maybe others have figured out the secret to seeing enough detail to supplement your words.

Most of mine are in the 50-85 year old range..and your point is...