Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Soundproofing) Decoupling Your Workbench from the Floor?

Since you are in Japan, my first thought is to try a tatami mat. 50-70mm of dense organic matter should absorb vibration and be sufficiently firm to work on.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    Since you are in Japan, my first thought is to try a tatami mat. 50-70mm of dense organic matter should absorb vibration and be sufficiently firm to work on.

Michael
    Now that's an interesting suggestion! I might have to try that, too. Never considered that tatami might have sound absorbtion / antivibration properties.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck van dyck View Post
    https://isostore.com/product-catalog...RoC9aEQAvD_BwE

This stuff is great. Just make sure you don’t skimp and follow the directions. This with a few layers of lamination will do a lot.

I came across that in my internet travels, and still have no idea what you're supposed to do with it.
    It's like a layer of glue that you spread all along two surfaces? Do you just take two thick boards or what not and glue them face to face with this and then wala, soundproofed?

Oh, sorry -- one more thing.
    I found some pretty hard, asphalt "soundproof" mats in the local hardware store. Not sure what they are for, just a big, super dense, fairly thin mat, black in color. Curious if this would do anything if I put several layers underneath my work bench.
    Also curious if they would melt during the summer and leave an impossible to clean up tarry mess on the floor... especially if I put my bench near a window or something

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    I came across that in my internet travels, and still have no idea what you're supposed to do with it.
    It's like a layer of glue that you spread all along two surfaces? Do you just take two thick boards or what not and glue them face to face with this and then wala, soundproofed?
    Its interesting. It just never cures, which I believe adds to its ability to absorb sound and vibration. You use like a whole tube per sheet. You basically use it to laminate quietrock or plywood to existing walls and yeah, wala! attenuation complete. There are often pathways for sounds that need to be investigated and dealt with. Airshafts, exposed joist, sheet rock covering old brick walls with any filler, these can all amplify the sound to your neighbors, and sometimes your neighbors noise back to you.

Just today I was on a site visit where I am hoping to help a potential client with an isolation booth in his NYC apartment. Decoupling is necessary, and treating the walls with this green stuff will help a lot. He wants to be able to track drums in his apartment.

Back when I was younger and played in loud punk bands, we would collect egg cartons and rugs and make our own sound insulation, I think it worked....¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by chuck van dyck; 03-24-2022 at 11:24 PM.

Sound dampening typically uses several stages to maximize the effect. Consider using some dampening material between your bench top and the legs. Even a thin layer of absorptive material will reduce transmission to the legs and make the next layer more effective.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Sound dampening typically uses several stages to maximize the effect. Consider using some dampening material between your bench top and the legs. Even a thin layer of absorptive material will reduce transmission to the legs and make the next layer more effective.

I was thinking this also. Putting the sound dampening material between the leg assembly and the top should also, even if it's soft, not result in nearly as much "rocking" of the bench as putting it underneath the legs.

I would use a stud finder to find the floor joists if you have them and put the legs over the joists as much as possible. If your floor is poured concrete that helps a lot.

tTry carpet underlayment cut to fit under the legs, one or more layers. Off cuts are usually free! Try simple stuff before spending money.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!