Thread: Yankee 2100 brace rehab

Yankee 2100 brace rehab

Hi folks,

I recently got a shiny new [old] toy for my emerging woodshop.
    a fellow creeker agreed to help me get a Yankee 2100 brace.

when I got it it squealed like a demon. a little cleaning and oil and now it only runs like one.

I was wondering about two issues with the chuck:

yankeeWhatsApp Image 2022-03-23 at 16.22.24.jpeg
    1) The jaws on the chuck don't line up very well. The lower jaw is loose and with a plier I can raise it. this mans that if I don't use a plier to carefully raise it into alignment the jaw will grip the bit in a skewed fashion.
    I have cleaned out the inside of the chuck and couldn't identify anything that might obstruct it.
    The spring is symmetrically shaped and is held in place by an O ring type holder that fits in a slot behind the chuck.

2) is there a way to clean up the chuck from all the rust? I'm afraid to go out it with a wire wheel will strip it of the chrome plating and I'm not sure how to get into the knurling without it.

Thanks, any input would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion is usually to check in at George's Basement > https://www.georgesbasement.com < Other than some patent drawings there doesn't appear to be anything on the chuck jaws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Assaf,

This may help: https://galootopia.com/old_tools/dri...-yankee-brace/

Good luck,
    Stephen

Blog Entries
    For removing the rust you can try soaking it in vinegar overnight and then use a brass wire brush on it by hand. Wear goggles, you don't want to get vinegar in your eyes. Some stores might carry a cleaning strength vinegar. Rinse and dry right away to prevent flash rusting.

Images of the disassembled chuck might help to see what could be the cause of the drooping jaw.

Could the spring be deformed or bent?

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-24-2022 at 2:08 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)