Thread: Is there any use for old planer blades?

Blog Entries

Is there any use for old planer blades?

I just got a new planer so I have some planer blades from my old planer. Does anyone know of any use for old planer blades?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    They make good scrapers. There are good hard steel. They can be cut and shaped with a grinder, almost impossible to drill.
    IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0461.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-23-2022 at 8:57 AM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I just got a new planer so I have some planer blades from my old planer. Does anyone know of any use for old planer blades?
    Thanks
    They make good raw materials for striking knives and the like. Depending on the width and thickness they might make good skew or detail chisels for dovetailing.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

With my Ryobi AP-10 I just sharpen them and reuse them. I am pretty sure mine still had the original blades in it when I got it. The previous owner thought it might be broken. But the blades were just so dull they were about like a butter knife. Sharpened they work great - better than the replacements I also purchased. It is far from the ideal planner but it works and I have no expense for knives. My two sets will easily outlast me.

I use one as a straight edge to tear full sandpaper sheets into quarter sheets.

Dennis what kind of planer and what are the knives ? Do you mean used dull ones ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Dennis what kind of planer and what are the knives ? Do you mean used dull ones ?
    Used knives from my old broken Ridgid planer
    Dennis