Thread: Sawstop Router Table Plate Opening Too Small

Sawstop Router Table Plate Opening Too Small

Bit of a weird one, I purchased the 27" in-line router table to attach to my PCS and have installed it, but when I went to put in the router plate I already owned it did not fit. But not like the wrong size I'm talking by like 1/32nd of an inch.

As best as I could measure the hole in the table was exactly to spec and the unknown age Jessem plate I have was just slightly over but I guess I was shocked that it didn't fit. I sanded down the edges of the plate to get it in the but I'm more concerned over the long term.

Are plates made slightly undersized now and this won't be a problem if I upgrade down the line to a lift?

Had anyone else had any issues with fit on this router table?

I had a nice Aluminum plate on my Norm router table. It did not fit in the SSRT. Disappointing, but I did pick up another that dropped right in. I can’t say if it will be a problem with a lift as I do not have one. There is no “standardization” in plates or lifts and unlikely to ever be. I am very pleased with the SSRT. It has been a good upgrade to the shop.

Blog Entries
    Some router plates from different manufacturers are the same dimension, but I think that's more by accident than by design. There is no standard and sizes range all over the place.

That is disappointing. There seemed to be two main sizes based on either the Rockler plate size or the more general 9 1/4" x 11 3/4" but I guess they aren't really monitoring for variation. The table is not something I'm going to modify so I suppose I'll have to verify whatever I get should just fit. It was a surprise given the brands involved and that Sawstop doesn't even make a plate, only the lift.

Thanks for the feedback

Blog Entries
    SawStop's lift does have a plate that fits in their table.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    SawStop's lift does have a plate that fits in their table.
    Yes, but it's the entire lift which is not something I want to spring for right now. If I had known that my existing plate wasn't going to fit it would have given me pause. I didn't anticipate being locked in to Sawstop's lift exclusively, just that I would need to make sure that the 9.25 x 11.75" dimension was met. I mean clearly others are using various plates and lifts with this table, so it's not exclusive, but I was surprised that it didn't fit in the first place.

I suppose at this point it's more of a cautionary tale for others that even if it says the same dimension that doesn't always mean it will fit. In manufacturing there are always tolerance stack issues, which is why you don't design to the exact dimensions. One part, the other, or both need to accommodate some variation. Maybe Sawstop takes that variation up in the lift plate itself.

In any case I've reached out to both Sawstop and Jessem to see what they say and will update here for posterity.

Router plates have had this "feature" for decades now...slight variability between manufacturers. It sounds like some very minor shaving down on the edges solved your issue for a fixed plate for now. Just be sure to check specifications carefully when you do opt to move up to a lift (recommended for so many reasons) and use one known to be drop-in for the cast iron top you have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’ve have my PC 7518 attached to a Woodhaven plate in my TS extension table for many years. I just bought a Jessem Mast-R-Lift II it was a perfect fit in the Woodhaven cutout…with maybe a bit of KY Jelly. I was anticipating having to build a brand-new extension table! Instead, it was ready to go in about 45 minutes. Pleasantly surprised…that NEVER happens to me.

It sounds like the Sawstop hole was exactly right and the plate slightly over sized. What do you want Sawstop to do ?

Nothing for them to do, I was just curious to see if this was a known issue. I'll just have to be careful going forward. I had heard it was an issue, but there's always a first time to experience it.