Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Vintage” clock

“Vintage” clock

Finally put the finishing touches on this clock. A few hand drawn plans, a lot of stops, starts, and procrastination. Designing a bit on the fly resulted in quite a few redos and unforeseen needed changes and additions. But, it was a fun journey. Making a clock is one more thing off the bucket list.

0DCDB317-2F0C-4A83-B003-51AAE42CFAA1.jpg 0BEFC13A-24F1-4006-BF1C-501A59199F65.jpg

Beautiful original take on old wall clocks. Lot of nice detail, but has one feature I find a little too modern. It’s the squareness of blocks on
    the cornice. I think they should be narrower and the color of them should contrast to the back ground. The wonderful pendulum deserves
    some good leaf !

I think that came out well. The inlay, or whatever light band, around the pendulum window and clock face really draw my eye and make it hard to even notice if the light/dark balance on the outer perimeter is a thing. Having seen this in an earlier stage in an earlier thread, this came out really really well. Both of my daughters (and my wife) will assure you I have no sense of style or color to speak of, but I like it.

The blocks on the cornice work for me. This was clearly a laborious project, I would rather beat my toes with a hammer than think about making the clock face from scratch. I think the cornice needed 'something' on it to break up the visual weight of the horizontal top element, and the blocks get the job done without someone having to shoot me with a tranquilizer dart.

I agree with Mel you could do something to bling up the pendulum bob, but it might take away from the visual flourish of the light colored doohickeys at the corners of the clock face, so disputable matter where beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like it as is. If I were to order such a thing after I win the lottery I would probably commission a slightly less fussy clock face. I think the white number markers work well. I didn't comment in that thread because I couldn't "see" it, but on the finished item I think 2 color marks at 12-3-6-9 would be pulling my eyes away from the clock hands today.

FWIW 1138 is right about the time I get back from elevensies, pour a cup of decaf and take a deep breath before I re-open my email, the last moment of relaxation before I find out what the afternoon is going to bring me. Well chosen hand position, the low point of my day is right around 1600 when I get to figure out how much OT to ask for today... Maybe post another pic with the hands showing 1558, I might hate that thing.

However, to my eye all the elements draw me to look at the clock hands - to see what time it is right now- the entire point of having a clock- and on that score you hit it (my opinion) out of the park.

Beautiful clock Phil, I wouldn't change a thing.

Very nice Phil. Some sort of clock is on my bucket list too. I like the pendulum. Is it actually functional in that it drives the clock mechanism or is the movement battery operated?

Beautiful craftsmanship Phil. You inlay skill is stunning.
    I am also curious about the movement.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice job. I have a lamp and a clock on my list of things to make. I'm hopeful I can get them done this year, but yard work season is about to start.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thank you all!

The inexpensive quartz movement keeps remarkably good time, but the pendulum is only for show. It will keep time whether the pendulum is moving or not.

Phil, a charming timepiece showcasing your characteristic perfect detail work. You and your family and friends will enjoy that for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thank you all!

The inexpensive quartz movement keeps remarkably good time, but the pendulum is only for show. It will keep time whether the pendulum is moving or not.
    Phil you sure fooled me ! If you have ever read paper-back romance literature you know that “ pend -you- lust” stuff must MOVE !
    What you need to do now is tie a string on to bottom of pendulum and the other end on to a rocking chair. Then when you hear the doorbell
    and get up from the chair the pendulum will still be moving.

LOL, Mel! I may not have been clear though, the quartz movement does swing the pendulum, but the pendulum does not drive the time. So I can keep the rocking chair untethered for now!

Very nice work. You will enjoy it.
    Charlie Jones

The problem with logging on to the creek is that there are way too many cool projects to drool over. Nice touch.

Great woodwork, but I would have gone with a mechanical clock. Or, at least put some fake winding holes in the face.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thank you Ron. You post plenty to drool over yourself!

Mike, couldn’t agree more. I originally planned for a mechanical works, but long story short, ended up with a quartz movement. I’ve found a good movement for around $250, which I plan to use at some point down the road. I do like the idea of the false winding holes….didn’t even think about that. Thank you for that idea.