Thread: Kerfing Chisel

Kerfing Chisel

The topic of a kerfing tool for half-blind dovetail sockets came up again in another thread. Rather than adding to this thread, where these details risk being lost, I offer them in a thread of their own.

I documented making the first dedicated kerfing tool in 2011. This is different from the ones made by Ron Bonz and Rob Cosman, who began posting theirs about 3 years ago. I believe that Ron may have made his before Rob (although Rob would never admit this). Theirs is patterned after a backsaw, while mine is chisel-shaped.

In developing the latest generation (in January 2021), making it easier for others to build one for themselves, this is the design that resulted. At the time I made up a few extra, which have long since been sold …

The build article and details is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ngChisel2.html

This includes advice on how it is used.

What I will add is that you need to resist using any old scraper blade or piece of saw plate in its construction. If the plate used is too wide, it will leave a wider-than-desired kerf, and this will can lead to gaps in the final fit. For example, most dovetail saws today use a 0.020” wide plate. Add 0.003” set on each side, and you have a kerf 0.026”. Some older dovetail saws have plates 0.025” and tenon saws may have plates that start at 0.030”. These are just within acceptable limits. A putty knife generally has a blade 0.035” and thicker. That is too thick.

A thinner plate is better than a thicker plate. The “cutting” end is squared off rather than wedged like a chisel bevel. A wedge would cleave or split the wood. A thinner plate will experience less resistance and require less force to push away the wood fibres.

In the article I used putty knives and ground the blades down to 0.020” using a belt sander. Recently I discovered that an old replaceable Z-Saw dozuki plate was the perfect 0.020” thickness. Use one of these if you have an old saw with broken teeth.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you! I had a little trouble understanding the conversation in the other thread since I have not seen one of these in use.

When I used to cut half-blind dovetails in the 1990s I used the thinnest card scraper I had, the edge squared as usual and, and tapped it with a small ball pein hammer I had inherited from my dad. It always worked well. I think I got this from Tage Frid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    When I used to cut half-blind dovetails in the 1990s I used the thinnest card scraper I had, the edge squared as usual and, and tapped it with a small ball pein hammer I had inherited from my dad. It always worked well. I think I got this from Tage Frid.
    Yes, this was (as far as I am aware) a technique that originated with Tage Frid. I learned about it from one of his videos. The kerfing chisel is simply (again as far as I can tell) the first attempt to create a specific tool for this task.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek always does a great job in the making of tools. For myself the attempts are usually much crudely done. I do often wonder what will happen with these tools fifty years in the future when the grandkids are trying to figure out what grandpa was thinking when he cut down this putty knife bent this screw driver or beat up the edge of this card scraper. Maybe a good idea to mark such tools somehow so they don’t end up in the bin. They won’t be able to google most of them.🙂
    Jim
    Last edited by James Pallas; 03-24-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Maybe document them with images and a small write up kept in a tool folder.

That was done for some of my shop made tools before retirement:

Shop Made Tools.jpg

These made the job a lot easier.

A BHU is a Bill Handling Unit for those who were wondering.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe document them with images and a small write up kept in a tool folder.

That was done for some of my shop made tools before retirement:

Shop Made Tools.jpg

These made the job a lot easier.

A BHU is a Bill Handling Unit for those who were wondering.

jtk
    Good going Jim. Probably no one would recognize those tools just in a box or a drawer and think they were just part of some missing object.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Yes, this was (as far as I am aware) a technique that originated with Tage Frid. I learned about it from one of his videos. The kerfing chisel is simply (again as far as I can tell) the first attempt to create a specific tool for this task.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I have no woodworking talent beyond average. In the last 20 years I have been blessed with an income that has allowed me to buy planes and saws way above my skill level. If I had your skills and aesthetic sense I would glory in making the beautiful tools you use to build your handsome furniture, workbench, you name it. Failing these, I compensate with the oddball and quirky stuff such as wooden Hasselblads and models of buildings I've never seen.

Al-Khazneh Dec3.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4.jpg

I have to say, I dig that 503.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Sometimes the concept is more important than the execution. I love that model of that building I've never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    I have no woodworking talent beyond average. In the last 20 years I have been blessed with an income that has allowed me to buy planes and saws way above my skill level. If I had your skills and aesthetic sense I would glory in making the beautiful tools you use to build your handsome furniture, workbench, you name it. Failing these, I compensate with the oddball and quirky stuff such as wooden Hasselblads and models of buildings I've never seen.

Al-Khazneh Dec3.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I have to say, I dig that 503.
    Thanks, Mike. This was the result of a challenge by a friend to whom I had gifted the camera which I no longer used. She asked if I could also make one out of wood. The body is mahogany, the lens rings some kind of rosewood, and the front element purpleheart. The lens screws on with threaded inserts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Mack; 03-25-2022 at 8:46 AM. Reason: added photos