Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VFD for 7.5 hp 3 phase to run on 220 single phase

Matt,
    Not sure about the quality of the VFD because still trying to figure out how to get remote start to work. Seems to run the 7 hp 3 phase motor fine from 220 single phase. I would suggest calling custormer service before purchasing any brand on line, to see if anyone answers the phone who knows what a vfd is.....
    The instructions for the Vevor are less than stellar.
    Mike

ps - I am not intending to use the variable frequency to vary speed or to brake - just a table saw.

possible wiring diagram

attached possible wiring diagram for remote stop start for Vevor vfd in lieu of original panel controls

suggestions advice appreciated

Have seen other diagrams where the output of the momentary switches goes to "relay out" terminals, which makes no sense to me. But am not an electrician.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Leiferman; 05-19-2022 at 11:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Could you post a link to these 10hp VFD’s for $200?

Never mind, found it. How can these be quality at $200? Experiences anyone?
    Is it a 10hp 3ph vfd? You need to double the size of a 3ph vfd run on single phase. As an example the fugi 60amp vfd (20hp) only outputs 27a on single phase input.

Edit I see it's a 35a unit. It would output about 15 amps on single phase input .
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 05-19-2022 at 11:26 PM.

It is a single phase input, 3 phase output. The motor is about 7.5 hp, the vfd is rated at 10 hp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Leiferman View Post
    It is a single phase input, 3 phase output. The motor is about 7.5 hp, the vfd is rated at 10 hp.
    The vfd is rated based on 3ph input. They all work (well most anyway) on single phase input. You just get half the output. It's a 5hp output on single phase. Best case would be 17.5 amps.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 05-19-2022 at 11:31 PM.

Jared -
    you know more about these than I do. The unit is described as having 50 amp output, so if halved, would be 25 amp. But this saw is replacing the Unisaw I have had for 15 yrs now that is powered by a 3 hp motor, and I have never strained it. I am not expecting to work the 7.5 hp motor in the slider anywhere near its capacity. If the vfd dies, I will buy a bigger one next time, and chalk it up to learning.

The thing I am struggling with and need advice on is remote switching.
    Thanks,
    Mike

attached possible wiring diagram for remote stop start for Vevor vfd in lieu of original panel controls

suggestions advice appreciated

Have seen other diagrams where the output of the momentary switches goes to "relay out" terminals, which makes no sense to me. But am not an electrician.
    Disclaimer: I have never worked with the Vevor VFDs, but have worked with 10-11 other VFD brands over the last several years.

I assume the 'blue' wiring is from the OEM manual. This indicates the inputs are sourcing: there should be (logic level) voltage already present at each input terminal; when the external switch closes, it connects that terminal to the GND terminal (common control signal), which pulls that input terminal voltage down and the VFD brain sees this as 'true'.

So, I would not wire this as you have shown. Back to the disclaimer: There may be other drawings or parameter settings for this VFD which indicate support for such, but based on the drawing above - - don't. As shown, for dirt simple solution to your saw motor application, I would assume you need a single maintained switch wired from FWD/STOP to GND (Common Control Signal). Close it to run; Open to stop. If power fails, you should turn the switch OFF (:: open).

You will have to read thru the manual for programming parameters. These will determine how the VFD interprets the inputs. Write down any and all parameter changes you make, they're handy if you need to reverse something or replace the VFD. There are likely hundreds of parameters - - there are probably 2 or 3 that require attention for your application. Ignore the rest.

One parameter will likely enable all these external inputs. Until this is enabled, most VFDs default to the onboard keypad for all start/stop/reset/speed signals. Other parameters will define HOW these inputs are used - - assuming again that the 'blue' functional descriptions are the default, so if all you need or want is the FWD/STOP, no additional parameter edits are required.

Passing the output of momentary switches thru the onboard relay output terminals is likely intended to prevent restarts on recovery from a power failure. The relay output is probably programmed to change state when running, so the momentary switch turns the VFD ON, the relay holds it ON, and if it quits for any reason (power fail, fault, etc), the relay opens and then it can't restart until you press the button again. ...Probably.

For your consideration: many VFDs support taking the keypad off the body of the drive and locating it in a convenient spot. It is connected to the VFD body by a communication cable (often a simple CAT5 ethernet cable). This offers the advantage of not altering any parameters, and full functionality of display info and buttons. The disadvantage is that in high cycle operations, the membrane keypad wears out (...think about the 'enter' key on a fuel pump or point-of-sale CC reader).
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-20-2022 at 8:35 AM.

Malcolm
    Thanks for taking time to provide this clear and detailed response!
    The parameters that allow remote operation (turn off the keypad) are in the bubble I copied from the manual, item 8.2, so I think I have those set correctly.
    I understand that the keypad can be relocated, but wanted to use larger buttons for my old eyes.
    The part I had no idea about was the possibility that the "relay" would hold a signal from the momentary switches. The way I had it wired, when the on switch was depressed, the motor starts and runs as long as you hold it down, which is nice, but not quite how I wanted it to work... Adding a leg to the remote might be the answer.

Perhaps the second mistake I made in purchasing this "economical" vfd, is that the support for it is next to nothing. I was thinking "how hard can it be" and am beginning to understand.

Thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Malcolm
    Thanks for taking time to provide this clear and detailed response!
    The parameters that allow remote operation (turn off the keypad) are in the bubble I copied from the manual, item 8.2, so I think I have those set correctly.
    I understand that the keypad can be relocated, but wanted to use larger buttons for my old eyes.
    The part I had no idea about was the possibility that the "relay" would hold a signal from the momentary switches. The way I had it wired, when the on switch was depressed, the motor starts and runs as long as you hold it down, which is nice, but not quite how I wanted it to work... Adding a leg to the remote might be the answer.

Perhaps the second mistake I made in purchasing this "economical" vfd, is that the support for it is next to nothing. I was thinking "how hard can it be" and am beginning to understand.

Thanks
    Mike
    You want 3 wire control, that diagram doesn't appear to show that.

saw is now running both motors via separate vfd's. VFD's reside in an enclosure with remote momentary buttons for stop and start. Still working on getting the original emergency off button connected and working, need to add an additional contactor to that to notify each vfd separately.

Used cheap Vevor VFD's Now have the numerous settings figured out and documented, as well as a wiring diagram for the remote stop start switches if anyone needs, just dm me.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Will post some pics when I get the saw placed in the shop.
    Mike

saw is now running ...

Good on ya'!

EStop button (contacts) can go in series with the respective Stop buttons, or you can typically define a VFD input as 'inhibit' (terminology varies by manufacturer) and wire the EStop's contacts to both of these inputs.