Thread: Just bought a cheap metal shear, and it works!

Just bought a cheap metal shear, and it works!

My dad brought home an old DiAcro 12" metal shear about 400 years ago, been a workhorse but it's gotten so bad finally that while it'll shear brass and aluminum all I can get it to do is BEND stainless. And what I normally shear with it is 20 gauge 304 stainless for ID plates I make, and I just cut them to order. I'm going to get the DiAcro's blades replaced and set up by a local shop, but the guy is weeks out. So I decided to see what else might be for sale that would work.

I came across this ad-
    newshear3.jpg
    I'm pretty sure just new blades for the DiAcro will cost more than $140, but I was intrigued because 2 of my 4 fiber lasers are Vevor branded (bought off ebay) and they work fine. So I ordered one, on the 16th/

It just came about an hour ago. was all put together, just the handle needed attached...
    newshear2.jpg
    newshear4.jpg

I just removed the straps holding the DiAcro to the old Skilshop workbench, moved it back some then, half-arsed strapped the new one down. Only used one strap for now since the bolts I have handy are too long on the back side, they hit the blade. I put in a scrap piece of SS about 2" long, and it went thru it much easier than I was expecting. Since there's no table, I cut up some scrap black .090 aluminum, taped the front edge to the shelf on the shear and shimmed the back edge, so I could at least hold down what I was cutting.

I have an order for 1 whole 3-1/2" square ID plate, so I marked cut lines on a piece with a laser, then held it down and trimmed off 2 edges.
    the top and right edges are the new cuts-
    newshear5.jpg

Cut very nice, not much effort, and the piece didn't walk, or WANT to walk, I just lined up my cut lines to the bottom blade edge, held it down and pulled the handle, the piece didn't move a bit.

Pretty happy with it, especially for the price! Now I don't have to make an 18 mile round trip to the sheet metal shop for one $3 plate!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

WOW, 1/4" steel plate cutting capacity is impressive!

• 【QUALITY CUTTING TOOL】 - Our professional cutting head uses high-carbon steel, with high hardness and sharpness. Cleavable copper, aluminum, stainless steel, iron, and other materials, cut flat, leaving no burrs.
    • 【GREAT CUTTING CAPABILITY】 - Our shearing machine has a 12-inch length blade, which can cut 1/4" thick sheet steel, 2-3/4" x 1/4" flat steel, and 1/2" rod steel.
    • 【ERGONOMIC ADVANTAGES】 - The long handle uses the principle of leverage, which saves effort and improves operator comfort. Metal shear owns an adjustable hold-down clamp inside helps to secure material more firmly.
    • 【EASY CUTTING OPERATION】 - Shearing machine adopts seamless welding technology, wear-resistant and durable. The bolts are all painted to prevent rust and have a long service life.
    • 【SAFE AND EFFICIENT】 - Delicate balance platen ensures cropping plate for accurate cutting. Shears for heavy construction can be added with a bottom hole bolted to provide the user's safety.

Yeah, impressive. LOL ... 1/4" sheet metal might be asking a bit much - but it DOES go thru 1/8" aluminum quite nicely...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle