Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Value of a Jointer

I sold my 6" closed stand jointer in summer 2020 for about $350, I could have gotten probably $400 for it based on the inquiries I was getting, but I needed it out of the shop more than I needed the extra $50.

That was before the used tool market went nuts. If you were able to snag that 6" Jet for $300, you would be doing great, considering crappy Craftsman fixed outfeed jointers are being listed here for nearly $300.

I would agree with the other Andrew, the days of getting a Jet/Delta/Grizzly/PM/SF 6" stationary jointer for $200-$300 are over. There are 2 decent Delta jointers listed on the local craigslist (no 8" jointers, there almost never are), and they are listed at $500 and $600. Other than the one ton 12' Northfield, the other seven jointers listed are garbage.

Not everyone who sells stuff is smart enough to compare new prices before they sell. As well a lot of people ,myself included sell stuff at fair prices and like to help others starting out. Some people just want what they paid 25 years ago, sometimes they get it sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Not everyone who sells stuff is smart enough to compare new prices before they sell. As well a lot of people ,myself included sell stuff at fair prices and like to help others starting out. Some people just want what they paid 25 years ago, sometimes they get it sometimes not.
    True, people make mistakes, or under price things for other reasons. However, it's less likely to happen now, due to all the focus on inflation expectations.

I have no idea what "fair price" might mean to any one individual, nor do I think there's a good way to guess at it, since it's completely subjective, so I don't think it's really relevant to the discussion.

Andrew you are welcome to your own opinions ,as am I.

Bought a WEN 8-Inch Spiral Benchtop Jointer last year - very impressive use out of it, milled some rough sawn 8/4 Red Oak on it many times. Some folks might scoff at a WEN but if they saw results, they might change their mind. That jointer can be bought for $429.99 right now, 2 year warranty also.

Bought a WEN 8-Inch Spiral Benchtop Jointer last year - very impressive use out of it, milled some rough sawn 8/4 Red Oak on it many times. Some folks might scoff at a WEN but if they saw results, they might change their mind. That jointer can be bought for $429.99 right now, 2 year warranty also
    I go round and round over selling my Ridgid 6" jointer and buying one of those - or - investing close to that amount & sticking a spiral head in the Ridgid.

As far as the used market - there's a 6" Powermatic listed for $1500 and a 6" Jet for $799. A couple of benchtop Craftsman beat up pieces of crap 4 1/2" for about $300 each - give or take $20.
    Pretty typical for around here.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    The auction company has offered to return 1/2 of the sales commission for the Powermatic which will bring the price down to $585. I like that it was made in Tennessee. The motor is USA too. It fits in well with the rest old my old USA tools.

I think this one of the ones mentioned by Matt Day

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.42.07 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-30-2022 at 3:44 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Just sold my old Jet JJ6-CSX closed stand jointer. I bought it 20 years ago for $499. I had people tripping over each other to get it for $725. It was in nice shape but these prices are obscene.

Blog Entries
    The old Powermatic is looking good. I think this the first time the OEM knives have been out. A light honing and they are very sharp. I am getting excited.

IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0481.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The old Powermatic is looking good. I think this the first time the OEM knives have been out. A light honing and they are very sharp. I am getting excited.

Excellent ! Appears to be low use over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Greif View Post
    Just sold my old Jet JJ6-CSX closed stand jointer. I bought it 20 years ago for $499. I had people tripping over each other to get it for $725. It was in nice shape but these prices are obscene.
    That's good to hear. I have the "deluxe" version of that jointer with the longer tables. Bought it many years ago for about $525, iirc. Might be time to start shopping for an upgrade.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post

Even though the knives say powermatic on them it’s still good medicine to research that they are in fact correct. The bevel width looks wide to me. Thick knives will have a wider looking bevel.
    5/32 thick with a 45 degree bevel ?
    Good Luck nice find.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Even though the knives say powermatic on them it’s still good medicine to research that they are in fact correct. The bevel width looks wide to me. Thick knives will have a wider looking bevel.
    5/32 thick with a 45 degree bevel ?
    Good Luck nice find.
    I like Powermatic machines …but not Powermatic stamped on knives . I want to see M2 or T1 on the knives.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info on knives. I will check the specs before reinstalling. The wood honing block was made for a set from a Jet. The thickness and angle matches these Powermatics. I will be thinking about a Byrd helical cutter for it in the future.

These knives are 1/8 with a 45 degree bevel. My 4 inch Delta knives are 1/8 - 45 as well.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-31-2022 at 10:01 AM. Reason: 1/8 - 45
    Best Regards, Maurice