Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Jointer

Value of a Jointer

A Jet 6" open stand jointer just came up on a local online auction. Looks in good condition from pictures, no rust on tables. Anyone have an idea of the value?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Open stand $200-300.
    Bill D

$200-300 might be what it is worth but will easily sell for double that.

Blog Entries
    I picked up my Powermatic today, won on Purple Wave auction the grand total is $620.81 I bid high because it was said to have a 7 inch blade. It is a 6 inch. Buyer beware. (Buyer do your research)

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 4.39.43 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-22-2022 at 8:03 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I picked up my Powermatic today, won on Purple Wave auction the grand total is $620.81 I bid high because it was said to have a 7 inch cutter. It is a 6 inch. Buyer beware. (Buyer do your research)

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 4.39.43 PM.jpg
    I've never heard of anyone making a 7" jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    A Jet 6" open stand jointer just came up on a local online auction. Looks in good condition from pictures, no rust on tables. Anyone have an idea of the value?
    If it helps:

Bought Delta 6" jointer with closed stand and mobile base for some $300, few years back. I added the missing pulley cover on the back ($25). Used it for 2-3 years and sold it for ~$300, in 2019.

On FB, a similar looking Craftex is listed for CAD 450, a Delta is listed for CAD 350, RexCut for $315, and a King for CAD 1000. These all look better in condition that the jointer I had.

I sold my 30+ year old 6” closed stand Jet Jointer, one year ago this month. I was hoping to get 200 bucks for it. Then I started pricing used jointers and was shocked to see how expensive they have gotten…probably because of the pandemic nonsense. So I said what the hell and put it up for $500 and ended up getting 475. It took two days to sell it. So don’t be shocked at the prices people are asking. PS the jointer was in good condition but it was still 30 years old.

I paid about $400 (110volt, six inch) for a used Shop Fox last summer. There was a jet 6" jointer on my local facebook for sale at $700 a couple days ago that sold in under 8 hours. They are very simple machines. If they are in good tune, one price. If not in good tune you have to figure out if you can tune them from the lower second price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Jerry, my advice is to wait and get an 8" jointer (if you have the space). No doubt it will cost a little more, however a 6" may quickly be outgrown .. unless you are making boxes. Wider is better.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I bought a Jet JJ6CSX 6" jointer at an estate auction last summer for $225 as I recall, though of course it was more with the buyer's premium and tax. It's a nice machine by my standards. I was lucky to get it for that price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I've never heard of anyone making a 7" jointer.
    If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Yesterday I thought I had discovered something rare, today I feel like an idiot. My search for an 8 inch continues. I am determined to find a "made in the USA".
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-22-2022 at 9:16 AM. Reason: Idiot
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jerry, my advice is to wait and get an 8" jointer (if you have the space). No doubt it will cost a little more, however a 6" may quickly be outgrown .. unless you are making boxes. Wider is better.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Heh, might have to park outside if I get a 6" jointer. That's okay though the truck will be closer to the dog house.
    Last edited by Jerry Bruette; 03-22-2022 at 8:34 AM. Reason: Correct auto spell
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I think one of the harbor freight jointers used a 7” blade.

Either way, $250 tops for a 6” jointer.

The thing that I have noticed is that there are usually about 10-12 six inch jointers listed for every 8 inch. So yeah I would not pay more than what you can sell it for ,about $300 tops.

Jet is currently getting $1450 + $170 shipping, Grizzly is getting ~$1K for their smaller 6" jointer (used to be about $700-800) and another $180 shipping, Ridgid is asking about $800 (I think this used to be about $500?).

As such the time when you could get a 6" jointer for $100 - $300 is likely a thing of the past with all the inflation.

I'd say that $400-600 is more a reasonable price given what a low end used jointer goes for, and for the Jet I'd expect it to be closer to $800.
    Last edited by Andrew More; 03-23-2022 at 8:55 AM.