Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering Why Your Package is Late?

Blog Entries

Wondering Why Your Package is Late?

Maybe the driver is having a bad day…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_GFrlaStQ

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I could see that happening to me!

Meanwhile in russia, supply chain reaction problems.
    Bill D.

https://www.today.com/video/forklift...-1376824387639

It looks like some WAY cheaped out on the pallet racks! It almost looks setup to have so many pallets cascade down like that.

That delivery driver is lucky no property was damaged. I am guessing the transmission popped out of park. I remember seeing an motel airport transport Ford van pop out of park into reverse back in the 90's right in front of me. It was sitting there idling in front of the motel with no one in it and it just popped into reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    That delivery driver is lucky no property was damaged. I am guessing the transmission popped out of park. I remember seeing an motel airport transport Ford van pop out of park into reverse back in the 90's right in front of me. It was sitting there idling in front of the motel with no one in it and it just popped into reverse.

Ford had a recall as early as late seventies on this. Neighbor's custom van self engaged reverse, and hitting a tree. Total repair cost was about 2K, which was almost what van was worth. Couple years later Ford offered to settle due to recall.

Blog Entries
    My parking brake is always set when the vehicle is stopped.

I have been in places were people do not use parking brakes, especially in the winter.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Several times in high school i heard about a cop who gave tickets to all the cars parked on the hilly street who did not have their wheels cocked correctly.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Several times in high school I heard about a cop who gave tickets to all the cars parked on the hilly street who did not have their wheels cocked correctly.
    Bill D
    Yeah, hadn’t thought of that in long time, but thanks to you I now remember seeing a movie in school about it. Had the old standard
    authoritarian, stentorian voiced narrator. Car had a good set of high tech “curb feelers”.

Blog Entries
    I am often surprised by the number of people who were taught to drive without the step of setting your parking brake before exiting the vehicle. This was as basic a step as putting on your seat belt and checking your mirrors before starting the car when I was taught. Small bad habits set in and grow like a snowball down a hill in a cartoon. Compound that with the apparent loss of driving skill over the pandemic isolation period and it might start to explain some of the things I see on the road lately.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Several times in high school i heard about a cop who gave tickets to all the cars parked on the hilly street who did not have their wheels cocked correctly.
    Bill D
    In San Francisco there were a few parking enforcement officers who would even write tickets for uncurbed wheels on flat streets.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I am often surprised by the number of people who were taught to drive without the step of setting your parking brake before exiting the vehicle. This was as basic a step as putting on your seat belt and checking your mirrors before starting the car when I was taught. [edited]
    When I was in the midwest during winter I was told many times to not set the parking brake. In older cars if water got in to the brake cable or drums it could freeze and lock up the brakes. Not sure if that is a problem in this day and age.

Like you said,

Small bad habits set in and grow like a snowball down a hill in a cartoon.
    jtk

In areas where salt is used the parking brake cables will seize up if not used regularly. A lot of drivers never use their parking brakes so eventually you don’t even want to try to use it.

I bought a new vehicle last summer (model year 2020) and if I park on an incline above a certain degree, it will automatically set the parking brake. It does this in my driveway as it has a fair slope.

That actually happened to a buddy of mine. The tru ck went over ythe curb and dodnt stop till the front bumper hit the house. Fired!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use the parking brake any time I am parking on a slope, but on flat ground I don't. Once my sister left the parking brake on for a week and when she came back to the van to drive away the cables had rusted in place and the brakes would not release. It had to be towed to a garage and worked on. I avoid leaving a vehicle parked for more than a couple of days with the parking brake on for that reason. My current car is a 2013 and has electric parking brakes where you push a button and the brake is set, or pull it and they are released. It seems funny since I can't tell if it's actually engaged or not, since there's no feel like there is with manual parking brakes.