Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wondering Why Your Package is Late?

And with FedEx, those ground delivery drivers actually work for a separate contractor - that truck is property of a private contractor. He got real lucky, looked like it might run right into a tree.

Setting the parking brake is a leftover from the manual transmission era. It is a habit that most older drivers have kept thinking it was needED tO proTect the Automatic transmission. If it were every manufacturer would plainly state it is needed.

I've don't recall reading an owner's manual that didn't say to set the parking brake. From my 2012 Town and Country manual:
    Before exiting a vehicle, always apply the parking brake, shift the transmission into PARK, and remove the key fob.
    Right on page 435! How could you miss it?

Also it wasn't just Ford vans that would back up when in park. Cars with the C4 auto and column shifter would do it too. I bought a used 1970 Fairlane and almost bagged a fence with it. Fiddling with the shift linkage stopped it. Just can't get anything good for $350. Drove the car 3 years, sold it for what I paid for it.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe the driver is having a bad day…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_GFrlaStQ

jtk
    He's not alone. About 2 weeks ago this container ship ran aground in about 15' of mud in the Chesapeake Bay when coming out of Baltimore. Seems it swung a bit too wide on the turn. I've heard they plan trying to free it tomorrow

The same company owned the container ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal awhile back.

container ship bay 3.jpg

A massive container ship has run aground in the Chesapeake Bay : NPR
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 03-28-2022 at 9:51 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

A month has passed, and the container ship is still stuck in the Chesapeake after 2 attempts to pull it out. So, they have started to unload about 500? containers before they try again.

I've heard that the ship's operator has utilized a maritime law that has the cargo owners paying for some? of the salvage/rescue costs.

conatainer ship 0413a1.jpg

sorry about any ads
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...e-bay/3022413/
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 04-13-2022 at 6:24 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Setting the parking brake is a leftover from the manual transmission era. It is a habit that most older drivers have kept thinking it was needED tO proTect the Automatic transmission. If it were every manufacturer would plainly state it is needed.
    If you’ve ever been into the guts of an automatic transmission, and saw the size of the park pin…you’d set the parking brake, especially on hills.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

At 7am after 5 weeks of dredging, removing 500 containers, a full moon and a spring tide they finally refloated the Everforward container ship. It's been towed to near Annapolis for inspection.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland