Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Half Blind Dovetails

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    A Red Devil Putty Knife..the one with the non-flexible blade..
    That’s what you were talking about, didn’t know what you meant. Also thought about a thicker card scraper I have.

I think you want #4201 (1.25" wide). 4202 is not stiff. 4203 is the 1.5" stiff version.

What width are you using Steve?

Red Devil

UNION NJ U.S.A.

1-1/4" wide..
    Mine is an older model..real wood handles...oooh..ahhhh.
    Red Devil 4101.JPG
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-22-2022 at 8:29 PM. Reason: photo added
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

4101 wood handle, 4201 polypropylene handle.

Both now have a metal cap on the top of the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Is anybody making these kerf maker tools currently? Looks like Ron is pausing orders to catch up on his backlog?
    Hi Tony. Sorry, I just saw this. I do still make those little tools in small batches. I am only taking a break from custom saws and still have the mallets and dovetail tools available. I actually have about 40 or so resin infused quilted maple handles in the works with the other species. Also I do now offer the dovetail tools with reverse teeth. Sharpened but not set, of course. Some folks would use the back of the saw plate backwards to remove the waste. So this facilitates removal of waste similar to using the back of the saw plate, but easier to hold and use. Lastly, you can use the tool vertically like a chisel so long as you do not go crazy hitting it with a metal hammer. There is a metal rod that transfers the force from the brass cap to the brass back/ plate. Always use taps with a wooden mallet.
    Best wishes,
    Ron

Back in the days when I was an apprentice painter, I destroyed many of those red devil handles. The forward metal rivet would always pop loose. I glazed many windows with those. Unfortunately I also pried open many windows and paint cans as well with them. The window prying was the culprit for popping loose the rivet. Not to mention scraping all those window sills. Used to grind a bevel on mine.