Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use Chrome or Microsoft Edge

Curt, Professor Dr. SWMBO was always a major FireFox user over the years, but even she has moved over to Chrome as primary at this point since some of the University systems get ornery with other browsers. The Chromium "heart" is also beating in a lot of other places now, including in Microsoft's Edge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Curt, Professor Dr. SWMBO was always a major FireFox user over the years, but even she has moved over to Chrome as primary at this point since some of the University systems get ornery with other browsers. The Chromium "heart" is also beating in a lot of other places now, including in Microsoft's Edge.
    I agree with Mike Stenson above. I did read an article recently that the major browser publishers are going to work to remove the interoperability issues. Let's hope. I have Vivaldi (chromium based) installed as a secondary browser. In my experience if a web site isn't happy with Firefox, it isn't happy with Vivaldi either. I imagine intranets could be more of an issue - ONLY WORKS WITH I.E.6.

Firefox for me, I under no circumstances use Google products, once in a while use the Edge browser when a site does not function on Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    ... it’s primarily Chrome. Firefox is in the minority and decreasing, from what she sees. ...
    Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Even that source has different statistics depending on what you want to count but the message is about the same. Making a browser the pre-installed default on a major operating system helps a lot with its popularity so it's no surprise Chome is doing so well. Safari is hanging in there. Those of us who never touch an Apple product also never use Safari but few Mac and iPhone owners use anything else.

And how many people these days will install a browser? I still occasionally have to explain what one is.

I use Firefox on the desktop but had to look to see what the browser is on my phone. Turns out it's "Samsung Internet Browser". Google tells me that's really Chrome, so I guess I'm contributing to the popularity of the Google family.

Safari is a pretty slim browser, compared to the bloatware that Chrome has become. If your phone is google based (which android is), it's going to use a chromium browser. I agree, however, the days of third party browsers really are over. Which is why you see what you see. It's predominately marketshare of mobile devices.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Making a browser the pre-installed default on a major operating system helps a lot with its popularity so it's no surprise Chome is doing so well.
    Sorry, where is Chrome the default on an OS?

@Mike Stenson - FWIW, Safari is WebKit, which is what Chromium is based on, so they're still pretty closely related in a way that Firefox is not.

For the record I use Firefox because I'm concerned about Chrome's dominance, and the conflict of interest Google's ad business represents to Chrome. I suspect that ad blockers are going to continue to get worse and worse on Chrome, because Google wants to sell you ads. Not sure what they'll do if they start to lose market share over it. (And too many annoying ads might be a good enough reason for people to switch to Firefox).

I've been a Firefox user for many years. It's FF on my PC and Chrome on my Chromebooks.

Seems to me that "which browser" is a question that used to be important, but that now, with the amount of convergent evolution that has gone on, there is effectively no significant difference. I like the integration of Google Translate into Chrome, but that is quite literally the only feature I can think of that distinguishes one over the others. I use Safari and Chrome interchangeably on an everyday basis. I've never actually seen Edge, so have no opinion on it. I used Firefox for a long time back when and was forced to use IE from time to time.

My current experience is that all the browsers work on pretty much every site, that they are all so fast that any differences are unnoticeable, and that there are very, very few functional differences.

AdBlock Plus still seems to do a very creditable job of blocking a lot of irritating ads. Google will know what I'm searching and target ads no matter which browser I use to access it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Sorry, where is Chrome the default on an OS? ....
    It was the default on my Android phone, disguised as Samsung Internet Browser and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the default on all Android phones since Android is Google. Smartphones overtook PC's in popularity several years ago so the phone statistics are significant. It's probably also the default on the Google Android tablets, Chromebooks or whatever they make now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    It was the default on my Android phone, disguised as Samsung Internet Browser and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the default on all Android phones since Android is Google. Smartphones overtook PC's in popularity several years ago so the phone statistics are significant. It's probably also the default on the Google Android tablets, Chromebooks or whatever they make now.
    Probably so, though at least you can still install a different browser on Android.

ALL browsers on iOS are Safari by legal requirement. They might have a little different skin on top, but it's all the same control underneath.

Blog Entries
    Firefox mostly. If I think the website is a bit sketchy, I use brave on the advise of a family member who heads the cyber security group at a fortune 100 company.

Lowell is back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Probably so, though at least you can still install a different browser on Android.

ALL browsers on iOS are Safari by legal requirement. They might have a little different skin on top, but it's all the same control underneath.
    I'm an iOS user and my default browser is Chrome and has been for some time. The "initial" default is Safari, but iOS has supported other browsers being default for awhile now. All of my devices use the same Chrome settings, bookmarks, etc., including iOS.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Safari is a pretty slim browser, compared to the bloatware that Chrome has become. If your phone is google based (which android is), it's going to use a chromium browser. I agree, however, the days of third party browsers really are over. Which is why you see what you see. It's predominately marketshare of mobile devices.
    Some browser publishers offer an android version. How many android users even know about non-Google web browsers let alone how or why they should install one? I'm using Firefox on android. It seems to work fine for what little web browsing I do on a 'phone'. And yes, phones have a fair bit to do with Chrome's usage. Another issue I've heard of in the enterprise space is that Firefox hasn't supported corporate administration until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm an iOS user and my default browser is Chrome and has been for some time.
    We're talking about two slightly different things. On iOS ALL "browsers" must use the underlying Webkit control, which is the same control that does the heavy lifting in Safari, including Chrome on iOS. This is a requirement of their app store rules. So you might have a Chrome "skin" around Webkit/Safari, but it's still Webkit/Safari rendering the HTML, CSS, and javascript, even if it looks like Chrome, and allows some of the same settings and bookmarks. For the most part this doesn't matter, until it does. One place it might matter have been the shift in Chromium (which is the engine/control in Chrome everywhere that's not iOS) to restrict the ability of ad blockers to work. It also might mean some quirky results on various websites. Probably also means that some of the extensions for Chrome don't work on iOS.