Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handy Bandsaw jig

Handy Bandsaw jig

Just watched this video from Katz-Moses. I'm going to make one. It's a simple pattern jig you can make that allows you to use your bandsaw for cutting irregular shaped stuff on the bandsaw, or cut thin strips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsLN_gJvCZA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Just watched this video from Katz-Moses. I'm going to make one. It's a simple pattern jig you can make that allows you to use your bandsaw for cutting irregular shaped stuff on the bandsaw, or cut thin strips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsLN_gJvCZA

This jig has been around for many years. Only thing I see different is using miter slots to hold it in place. We just clamped it to edge of the table. Seems to me that Rockler sold a product similar to this. Nothing new under the sun.

Thanks, not seen that one before, could come in handy.

Interesting. Never saw that before. Usually making one-off pieces, the time it takes to make the jig would exceed the time to carefully cut the piece on the bandsaw and sand.

But I really can see the utility in this.

Not an original idea, though he seems to have advanced the thought:

George Vandriska had an article on one in Popular Woodworking in 2004. Or Michael Fortune in FWW in 2005 (terrible pictures, though).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Yep, nothing new, just keeps you a bit away from your template.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    A neat idea for making blanks to be trimmed to fit a pattern, if you do a lot of that type work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like that he makes it seem like he invented this revolutionary jig. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I like that he makes it seem like he invented this revolutionary jig. Lol
    It seems to me that almost all the usual suspects on YT do the same thing. It appears to be rare if someone actually acknowledges where they first heard about or saw the idea. If you read the comments, their subscribers think they are geniuses, very sad.

Jeezus..... Sorry I posted the video. I had no idea it would cause so much pain and agony. I wish I could give some of you your ten minutes of life back.

For anyone else who lives under a rock, (like I obviously live), and have not seen this, I still think it's handy and I'm going to make one.

Hopefully, posting this link/info is not as traumatizing to others who live under a rock as those who do not.

Michael, no worries. I actually found it pretty interesting. And certainly not something to be apologizing for. There’s huge amounts of information out there at that isn’t novel in fact the vast vast majority of information out there isn’t novel but that doesn’t mean it’s not interesting

If it helps you in your work, than it's all good, no need to apologize.

Some of us may simply have a different option on the subject or presentation, that's all.

If it educates or enlightens just one of us, it was worth it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Jeezus..... Sorry I posted the video. I had no idea it would cause so much pain and agony. I wish I could give some of you your ten minutes of life back.

For anyone else who lives under a rock, (like I obviously live), and have not seen this, I still think it's handy and I'm going to make one.

Hopefully, posting this link/info is not as traumatizing to others who live under a rock as those who do not.

It seems that some folks like to poke fun and ridicule others. There was a post on a free 5 gallon bucket offer which seemed to turn into a what a piece of junk the free bucket is. It's free. you should not expect it to be the best bucket in the world. I was going to post something on that, but refrained from doing it.

Thank you for your post and link!

Grumpy old men

It is a useful jig to use the same template first on a bandsaw to cut out and then on a router table to flush trim.

He did seem to go out of his way to talk about coming up with it and prototyping it, so maybe he was unaware of the other versions, including one Woodcraft used to sell about 20 years ago.

There is a version that is simply a pin that sticks down from a replacement guide block to run against a template.