Thread: Basic, possibly stupid question about laminate

Basic, possibly stupid question about laminate

At my “real-job” office, we have a micro-dot laminate countertop in the kitchen area that I really like and want to make one for my shop to replace a completely beat-up particle board counter. I’ve found sources online for the micro-dot, but my question is how is it shipped? I assume the 4x8 sheet is rolled up into a cardboard tube? Or am I missing something?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    Not stupid question at all! Yes it is shipped rolled. The unrolling needs to be done carefully. When you snip the band or bands that hold the roll it wants to spring open.

I carefully unroll and then re-roll in reverse to help counter-act memory. I let get warm before unbanding.

IMG_0444.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-19-2022 at 11:11 AM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

The last laminate I ordered from HD (counter width) was rolled but not in a tube. Just strapped, but in perfect condition. I went with ship-to-store. I think HD handles the shipping from their warehouses to the stores. If it went thru 3rd party shipping, it would be destroyed. It would be worth asking the vendor how it's shipped.

Edit: I think HD now offers the Formica microdot.

Another edit: Ship-to-store also makes it easy to refuse an order if damaged.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 03-19-2022 at 9:44 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Relevant to the material and how to install, I just watched this nice video about a very large outfeed table setup and it shows both how the material arrived and how he applied it. It might be useful to you. Fun watch, too...guy has a sense of humor.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Speaking of laminate, what is the best adhesive brand that comes in small quantities?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Weld Wood original and water base come in quarts and are in most hardware stores $9 to $20. I use the stinky, flammable, original.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-20-2022 at 5:26 AM. Reason: ,
    Best Regards, Maurice

If you have any of the powder glue formaldehyde stuff ,that’s the best. The “real” laminate glues will not last as long. They are just faster to
    use.

The 3M Hi Strength 90 spray adhesive works great for small quantities.

John

If you do veneer clamping, a vacuum bag or cauls and clamps will work great with Titebond to bond laminate.