Thread: Crotch in My Blank

Question Crotch in My Blank

I just got a log of an unknown species (maple?) that has a branch or crotch in it.
    As an inexperienced turner, what should I do here?
    Photos attached. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Turn it with natural edge and the pith side on bottom to retain the crotch like grain pattern. If you turn with rim on side shown for a normal bowl, you will turn off all the crotch pattern. I am not sure that what you have is a real crotch but it will ppossibly have some interesting grain pattern. The section is longer than wide and will make a long oval bowl or shallow platter. Look forward to see post of what you turn.

Just to be clear, the pics are two different halves of the same log. My main concern is safety, second creative possibilities.

I agree with Tom and think instead of a crotch what you have is actually an embedded branch that is not cellularly bonded to the wood. I suspect it will dislodge upon turning, at least partially, and that there will be minimal figure or interest from it. Were I turning these pieces I would remove the pith and branch. Otherwise, you stand a good chance they will crack.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I agree with Tom and think instead of a crotch what you have is actually an embedded branch that is not cellularly bonded to the wood. I suspect it will dislodge upon turning, at least partially, and that there will be minimal figure or interest from it. Were I turning these pieces I would remove the pith and branch. Otherwise, you stand a good chance they will crack.
    Thanks. That's what I'll do.