Thread: Which Planer?

Which Planer?

I may have a chance to buy a used Jet 16 " planer and a new Oliver 15" planer with a helical head? Any thoughts on purchase price of either one as well as which is a better machine?

Blog Entries
    If you'll send me the info on these I'll let you know which one I didn't buy ;-).
    Are you asking or bragging? ;-)

If the Jet 16" is strait blade, the Oliver, being new and Helical head is the clear winner, unless you must have 16"
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    If the Jet 16" is strait blade, the Oliver, being new and Helical head is the clear winner, unless you must have 16"
    That was my thinking too and I don't need a 16" planer, 15" is fine. My only concern is that I have no experience or knowledge regarding the current Oliver line of machines. Does anyone here have any experience with any of the current Oliver machines regarding performance, reliability, and customer service?

Oliver is made mostly by the same company that is making a majority of the machines. Not a lot of difference in Jet, Powermatic, Baleigh, Oliver, Grizzly, Laguna if they are made in Taiwan.

Most of Oliver's current lineup seems to be nice quality Taiwanese machines. Some have American made Leeson motors. I'm sold on helical heads and would buy that over any straight knife planer.

I almost bought their 16" helical 5 hp machine before the market went crazy. What was on sale for 2800 is now 4300