Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Routing 1/4" acrylic?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I cold bent it all the time in the model shop at Caterpillar Industrial Design.
    OK, but what was the thickness? 1/16" I suppose would work. 1/2" I would guess would not work.

I have some 1/4 inch lexan...could I cold bend it with my break? I kind of doubt it, but would like to know...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    OK, but what was the thickness? 1/16" I suppose would work. 1/2" I would guess would not work.

I have some 1/4 inch lexan...could I cold bend it with my break? I kind of doubt it, but would like to know...
    You can bend 1/4". You need to bend it slowly, it has a lot of spring back, and it bulges on the edges. I had better luck with a press and a 1/4" radius on the punch

3. I use MDF for templates and cut the parts within 1/2” or so on the table/band saw.
    I’m curious about the application, are these hatch covers framed? 1/4” seems too thin for a hatch cover, unless it’s mounted vertical I suppose.
    Most of the clear hatch covers I’ve seen are either molded with a frame or 1/2” thick frameless