Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: When to pull the plug on an electrician?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    If you are going to run more wires below the floor I’d open one of the knockouts on the bottom of the box and drop either a 3/4 or 1” piece of conduit below the floor.
    Smart move. I would also do the same out the top into the attic.
    Bill D

The conduit sounds like a good idea, but I think I would need more than one, or a big one. I'll have a 40 amp 240 volt circuit going to the stove, and two of the same to the on demand water heater, besides some 120 volt circuits for lights, outlets, and such.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Thank you all very much. I hadn't heard of a conduit hickey so I looked it up, and it does look useful. I have an EMT bender, but that wouldn't have helped. I don't think I could make a loop with this wire, it is very stiff. I was pushing sideways on the cable below the box with my knee to get those four cable ends to go into their respective lugs, it took both hands to steer the wires. Also I don't know if I would have room in the box if I made a loop there, as I'll have some smaller wires that need to pass through that space on their way back to the floor to go to other parts of the house by way of the basement. If I need a bit more cable in the box I should be able to push it in from the basement, possibly.
    It's actually much easier to get those big wires into the lugs if you have a big loop. Wait till you try getting 750MCM wire it the hole

A big loop outside the panel box or a loop inside? There's not a lot of room between the main and the bottom of the box for a very big loop, I would think. I hope I never have to work with bigger wires than these.

Blog Entries
    A big loop outside the panel box or a loop inside? There's not a lot of room between the main and the bottom of the box for a very big loop, I would think. I hope I never have to work with bigger wires than these.
    Just strip back enough that there is a big loop inside the panel. Easiest is to do a 360* loop & into the lug. Or a big S curve. Whatever works or fits. If you have trouble bending the wire, you can take a piece of 1/2" copper pipe & pound out a flare on one end. Use that to go over the wire to help with bending. I made up a short length of EMT for that purpose at least 40 years ago and still have and use it. It works for wire up to about 3/0.

Thanks, I'll keep the idea of a bender in mind. This is 4/0 aluminum wire, so 1/2" copper wouldn't be big enough, but 3/4" should work.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I'll keep the idea of a bender in mind. This is 4/0 aluminum wire, so 1/2" copper wouldn't be big enough, but 3/4" should work.
    Yep. You'll be happy with how much easier it makes the job.

Sometimes I have to beat on the large wires with a dead blow hammer to get the last little bit of bend in them.