Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new supply of Lumber in the shop...

Bandsaw mill was cutting 10' logs. They split the wood between the owner of the tree and the owner of the mill...been stickered away for about 10 years...

Trying a couple things out...After tracing around the "pattern" I made the knife wall just short of the line. All bandsaw cuts stopped just before the knife lines...
    Drill press stand, half chopped.JPG
    Chopped about halfway down on one side...using the knife wall to guide the chisel...flip over..
    Drill press stand, full chopped.JPG
    Then, try a dry fit...
    Drill press stand, getting better.JPG
    Looking better...Stash this drawer with the first one...
    Drill press stand, 2 drawers.JPG
    Just to keep them out of my way...had 3 more to do, today...
    Drill press stand, no gaps.JPG
    Getting to the point a hammer and a wood block was needed for the dry fits....
    Drill press stand, 5 drawers.JPG
    At this point....I was done, for today...

Tomorrow, the Stanley No. 45 comes out....time to get "Groovy, Man"

Stay tuned...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

The Stanley No. 45 is all set up with a 1/4" wide cutter (#12) with the fence set about a 1/4" away.....just need to find the time today, to USE the thing...Boss has errands she wants to run...and I am the Driver..

Film @ 2300 hrs..I hope..

Ok..task for today, in the 90 minutes my knee will allow...is to add a groove to 5 drawer fronts, AND 10 drawer sides..to house the bottoms of the drawers...sounds easy enough..build a jig, set up the Stanley 45..
    Bank of drawers, jigged up.JPG
    And make a couple of pounds of 1/4" wide noodles..
    Bank of drawers, noodle making.JPG
    about 1/4" deep. Cutter is a #12. Had an issue with it..wanting to shift a bit to the right....a couple taps with a mallet cured that..got a bit carried away tightening the back hold-down..
    Bank of drawers, cracked.JPG
    And had to make a new one, one that WON"T crack under pressure..
    Bank of drawers, new jig part.JPG

Since I push the planes with my right leg...right knee was NOT amused...once the last grooves were milled, swept the floor..
    Bank of drawers, Pho, anyone.JPG
    Noodle soup, anyone? Hang up the shop apron...
    Bank of drawers, hanging up.JPG
    And call it a day.

I had an old candle handy...helps to make the plane slide in the grooves better. Insides are marked as to which drawer they will be...and where the grooves will go...had the shop fan blowing on HIGH trying to keep me cooled down...didn't work.

And that was all I can do, for today....Tomorrow, I need to mill 5 drawer backs, and 10 drawer glides.

Stay tuned...

Sat around for awhile, resting up the knee...was ONLY go to the shop to take a couple pictures....yeah..RIGHT....

Took a 4'plank along? drag out the tablesaw...start cutting parts..wound up with 5 blanks to make the drawer backs with...and a few blanks to make 10 drawer runners with...

More resetting the fence and the blade height...ran a kerf cut all around the blanks for the backs..AFTER cutting them for length and square...THEN time for a hand tool or two..

Bank of drawers, resaw, backs.JPG
    Ugly, ain't they? On that saw...the "8" is inside the "D"...from before 1928...so, needed to clean these up?
    Bank of drawers, flatten backs.JPG
    With a Stanley No. 3, Type 11 (original iron, too)
    Bank of drawers, 5 backs done.JPG
    Set these aside...back to the tablesaw..
    Bank of drawers, drawer runners.JPG
    And mill up 10 runners...these are what the drawers will be sliding on...so, I need a groove..
    Bank of drawers, groove for the runners, started.JPG
    Two cuts, to help out the Stanley 45...
    Tablesaw also does dado work,too..
    Bank of drawers, dados done.JPG
    Needed 10 of them done..

See what happens when I sit around, bored.....
    Bank of drawers, milled.JPG
    Yeah..that'll learn me...

Stay tuned..

It got worse later...Youtubah was acting up...got tired of all the "pop-ups" decided to try the shop, again...

Tried the Stanley 45...was not working that well...not really a secure way to hold the part...Hmmm, tablesaw? I don't have a dado set for it, doubt IF one would fit...so
    The Runner Grooves, a LOT of cuts.JPG
    Took a few cuts, times 10 drawer sides?
    The Runner Grooves, busy place.JPG
    That pile is over 2" deep. Then back to the bench...round up the Usual Suspects...
    The Runner Grooves, waste removal team.JPG
    Chisel to snap the waste out...
    The Runner Grooves, chisel first.JPG
    And get started on leveling the floor of the groove...then the other 2 planes joined in..
    The Runner Grooves, level the floor.JPG
    Made a mess, doing it..
    The Runner Grooves, messy.JPG
    Just to get a dry fit with one of the runners..
    The Runner Grooves, test fit.JPG
    repeat 9 times...

Depending on the grain directions...I could pull the 71-1/2,Type 5 back towards me, or run the Stanley 45, Type 4 away..

Dry fit showed the drawer back weren't square on the ends, and some were a bit too fat....they were also 3/16" too long...got all 5 backs done...

Bedtime was about 0330 this morning....I gotta quit doing that..

Stay tuned..

Have since hand planed the 10 runners, for a better fit....most were a bit too fat. All now sit in that groove, just below the top of the groove's edge....

Need to make a run to Lowes.....Bandsaw needed a new bulb, so I can see better....and a 1/4" x 24" x 48" plywood panel...for the drawer bottoms....$14 and change....

Waiting on Mister Gumption and Mister Motivation to return....til then, I can just sit in me chair...

Went to take a couple photos..and a couple dry fits...ran into a problem..
    Bank of drawers, Ooops.JPG
    These are sides for Drawer #4....Ooops...they are supposed to be mirror images of each other....will have to fix that, later..

next dry fit showed the backs are still a tad thicker .too tight a fit in the dado....simple, bevel the ends a hair...

Bank of drawers, full dry fit 1.JPG

There IS a slight "toe-in" in the back, now.....which is perfectly fine....

Bank of drawers, full dry fit 2.JPG
    A view of the side...showing the groove for the runner to slide in....

Need a cutting plan...1/4" x 24" x 48" plywood...cut into 5 drawer bottoms, in as few cuts as I can make....we'll see, but...not today...
    Next trip to the shop, I'll try to get the size of the panels needed...

Stay tuned...almost time for glue and clamps, again..

Panels for the drawer bottoms...need to be about 10" wide by 9-1/2"long. May set the rip fence at 10" strong. Run the plywood through with the 48" edge against the fence....once...then cross cut the 9-1/2"

Sound like a plan?

May need a block clamped to the fence, to keep the plywood from bowing up...going to need a lot of room, fore and aft of the tablesaw...this MIGHT be "FUN" to do...by myself...

Stay tuned...

1st task..was to rip 10" wide strip off of a 1/4" x 24" x 48" panel.
    The Dungeon Woodworking Shop, done.JPG
    Then cross cut that into 5 panels for the bottoms of the drawer....10" was a hair too wide...the 9-3/8" dimension was spot on..dry fit..
    Bank of drawers, bottom fits.JPG
    A couple hand drills were gotten out..
    Bank of drawers, hand drills.JPG
    Pilot hole and a countersink...for attaching the sides to the back with screws...in addition to the glue.

Then moosh some glue around, add a few clamps..
    Bank of drawers, 1st glue up.JPG
    taking a few more than I had planned on...

I was going to glue as many of the 5 drawers up..today....just got one done...had to go run some errands...

Got back home, and glued up a second drawer...and dry fitted a 3rd....now have to wait on clamps from the first drawer..and might even got a fourth one glued up?

We'll see..
    Bank of drawers, 2nd glue up.JPG
    Second drawer in the clamps...getting a bit crowded..
    Bank of drawers, 2 glue ups done.JPG
    Waiting on glue to dry....

Stay tuned..

A 3rd drawer was glued up late last night...first 2 drawers are out of their clamps...last 2 drawers have been dry fitted.

An "issue" with the left back leg of the drill press stand.....the 2 x 4 leg has bowed a bit towards to front....will not allow the drawer to slide all the way in. Will dig up the 3 pounder and drive a spacer bar into place, to bow it back the other way...then add a plywood back panel to prevent any more such shenanigans from coming back. Front, where the drawers slide in at (left side of the stand, when facing the Drill Press) has no such issues....just that one back leg...

Might have to un-bolt the Drill Press from the stand....both to fix the back leg, and install the runners for the drawers to slide on...Hmmmm, anyone want to stop by and help out?

Stay tuned, this could get "Very IN-ter-est-ing"...film @2300 hrs...cussing will be involved..

Cut a stick, that matched the front opening, where the drawers will slide in...then held that stick to the backside of the drawer area...where the drawers are sticking..
    Bank of Drawers, bowed in that much.JPG
    Seems to have bowed in a tiny bit? Used that stick and the "Adjuster"..
    Bank of drawers, The Adjuster.JPG
    To spread things out a bit....fine tuned with a coarse sander...

Glue-up #3..
    Bank of drawers, 3rd one.JPG
    Was done late last night..about time to remove a few clamps..
    Bank of Drawers, finetuned 1.JPG
    Fine tune the slot for the runner to slide in..
    Bank of drawers, needs trimmed.JPG
    Trim as needed...bevel the drawer front's 4 edges..
    Bank of drawers, beveled edges.JPG
    Beveled with the Stanley No.3. I also cleaned up the first 2 glue-ups...and got the fourth glue up done..
    Bank of drawers, 4th glue up.JPG

I used one of the drawers to fine tune where they will be going...getting rid of any "sticking points"...and got a start on installing runners...
    Bank of drawers, runner installed.JPG

I'll leave the spreader bar in for a bit longer...until a back is attached to keep things spread out

3 hours of shop time, today...right knee had had about enough...

Stay tuned..

2 other sets of runners installed..
    Bank of drawers, quitting time....JPG
    Decided to make use of a panel from IKEA...
    Bank of drawers, case has a back.JPG
    Panel is a hair thicker than 1/4"
    Bank of drawers, case details.JPG
    With the back in place, I could knock that spacer bar out...
    Bank of drawers, pull into square.JPG
    That drawer turned out to be out of square..just a bit...loosened a couple screws( for the bottom panel) and pulled it into square with the clamps

The last drawer is now in the clamps...
    Bank of drawers, last glue up.JPG
    That diagonal clamp?
    Bank of drawers, pull until square.JPG
    What I should have done with that other drawer, but was in too big of a hurry, at the time...

Last 2 sets of runners need installed, 2 drawers need cleaned up, fronts beveled....and go and see about some handles...

Stay tuned...

BTW: This in NOT meant to be anything more than a simple stand to hold my drill press....and the drawers are a way to practice what meager skills I do have.
    Last drawer is now out of the clamps, and getting tuned up. Need to install the runners for Drawer #3 and Drawer #4. made a run to Lowes today...and bought a handle for each drawer...nothing fancy.

Stand itself: Paint the pine and plywood....And what colour....I could stain it, but then it would LOOK just like stained Pine. Intend to 2 coat the drawers with Amber Shellac...

I have a jig...that I have used, to place handles on the front of a line of drawers, so that the handles will all line up with each other....will see IF I can adapt it to these drawers..
    people may not like the style of handle going on these drawers, but they will work for what I need them to do......open a drawer. All handles in my shop are coloured black, and so are these...will post a photo (maybe) when the drawers are finished.

Stay tuned...( and just remember...I still have four more planks, at 7/8" x 6" x 74" just waiting around for the next project...)
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-28-2022 at 2:17 AM.

Today is a Monday, and the shop is closed for the day....

Sitting here. resting the right leg up...too much walking around, doing errands with the Boss.

Somedays, one just has to take a step back....

Handles...was NOT going to spend an "arm& a leg" on handles....they merely have to open and close these...
    Bank of drawers, 5 drawers made.JPG
    ( still need to install the runners for #3 and #4 drawer)
    So, a trip to Lowes the other day...did not even spend enough for the 10% Military Discount to kick in.....and brought home 5 handles...
    Bank of drawers, possible handle.JPG
    Will make a jig to center all 5 of these onto the drawers...so they all will line up.

Thought I had such a jig..somewhere....can't find it at the moment...always tomorrow, eh. About a week from buying a cheap shoplight...to light up the drill press AND the Bandsaw....they are kind of in a "Black Hole" at the moment. Have a quart of Kilz Oil-based Primer to apply to the pine parts of the stand.....intend to shellac the drawers.

Still have about 24 linear feet of 1 x 6 x 6' Ash to find a project for....Hmmm...

Stay tuned...