Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Threw a Tire, Again

Bandsaw Threw a Tire, Again

I've had a Hammer N4400 for a few years. Each year it seems I have to replace the tires. I threw the tire off the lower wheel today after running the saw for a couple of hours prepping bowl blanks. Reinstalled and it barely got up to speed and off it came.

The last time I ordered tires, about a year ago, the tech folks in Delaware suggested glueing the tires. I used the recommended glue. Now I get to clean the residue.

FWIW, about the second time I replaced the tires, some of the smart folks in Delaware said the problem was the saw was meant to be kept in a condition space and not subject to thermal cycling experienced in an unheated shop. When the weather was 27 outside the other day, I checked the thermometer in the s'hanger and it was in the 50's - maybe the (laboratory grade) mercury thermometer is out of calibration. Still it does get a little warm in the summer with the sky lights.

I don't know. Maybe urethane tires?

Thoughts? Anyone else keep in Hammer in an unheated shop?

I have only seen that problem when the blade is over tensioned.

Perhaps the built in tension gauge is out of whack?

Don’t glue the tires on, replace them and try reducing tension…Rod

I would definitely go to urethane tires. I had a set on my 18" Jet for 7 years and they were as good as new. They are harder to stretch onto the wheel, but I can't imagine them getting thrown off.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Zachary, go to urethane. When you get the tires, invite a friend to help. It is a job that requires at least three hands. Sharpen a piece of 1/2" dowel 6-8" long so it looks like a flat screw driver with a blunt tip on one end. Find a large pan, run hot water (~140 degrees) out of the tap into the pan. Put in a small amount of liquid dish soap. Put the tires in the hot soapy water, let them soak for ~5 minutes. Place the tire over the wheel and pull it down as far as you can. Have the third hand hold one side. Place the dowel as a pry bar under the tire near your hand and start prying the tire onto the rim while sliding your hand along behind the dowel to push/hold the tire onto the wheel. The tire will slide right onto the wheel. Once it is on, work the tire so the edges settle down completely into the rim of the wheel. Let the tire dry for at least 24 hours before use.

As Jim Davenport said in another recent thread: "Zip ties replace the "third" hand. Just use the zip ties as you work the tire around the wheel."
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-18-2022 at 7:21 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This sounds alarming Eugene
    I've not read of a saw throwing tires so frequent.

I've heard of the suggestion not to put "rubber" tires in hot water before installation on the Canadian forum,
    and was also reading about the lifespan of urethane compared, 10 years(ish) it seems...(not that I hadn't seen those blue ones whip off on utube before)
    I question if the hot water may have been the case before?
    Love to know what flavour you've tried in the past, both tires and adhesive, guess you've tried more than one type/method before.

Guessing the saw is/was set up well, as in running quietly,
    and no spelching of the underside of the cut, nor anything else evident.

I would question whether the plastic bearing spacer (if present on your machine) might be worn.
    Mine was, and it mimicked what a blade with a bad weld does, as in fore and aft movement on the wheel. (but only when using a wide blade)
    Obvious when you know what it should look like, and if quite similar to my machine and other Italian saws,
    then have a look to see if either of the shafts are proud of the inner race on the wheels,
    or if it's the opposite case and all is well ...
    The inner race of the bearings should be proud on the shafts, so that the retaining washer is pressing on the inner race firmly.
    Top one was gone on mine.
    SAM_5172.jpg
    Made a new one from some derlin like material, snuck up on the fit, good to keep onto old bearings!
    SAM_5283.jpg
    Now things are looking as they should, and the wheel is solid now, which it kinda was before...but noticeable when wheel was taken off.
    SAM_5285.jpg

Just a thought.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 03-18-2022 at 10:09 AM.

I have no dog in this fight and only am throwing this out there as a thought. Since you don't replace tires but infrequently or rarely this probably isn't worth the trouble. I just picked these plastic/nylon automotive trim tools as I had to pull the headliner down in my truck. These were cheap and exactly what I needed. It was also beneficial when everything was going back together and getting the lip of the seal back on the trim. The flat tipped tool might work well in the installation of the bandsaw tire. It won't damage anything and it will slide with minimal resistance. Thoughts? This is something that came to mind with Lee's suggestion to craft a wooden tool for this.

harborfreight.com/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-pc-64126.html

I've always installed urethane tires dry, but it's tiring. My new saw took me about 10 minutes of lying on the floor pulling as hard as I could and prying in between to get the lower one on, but I'm quite confident it will never come off on its own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    I've heard of the suggestion not to put "rubber" tires in hot water before installation on the Canadian forum,
    and was also reading about the lifespan of urethane compared, 10 years(ish) it seems...(not that I hadn't seen those blue ones whip off on utube before)
    I question if the hot water may have been the case before?
    The instructions that came with the Grizzly tires said to place them in 150 degree water with soap for 5 minutes. I have read that water hotter than that can potentially do damage
    such that the urethane will exceed its elastic limit and not shrink back to the proper size. I figure Grizzly knows what's best for their tires. I can't speak for other manufacturers tires.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

To me something seems wrong. I had to replace the tires on my Delta 14'' last year. They were original from 1989. They lost the elasticity to stay tight on the wheel when running. It does not seem right that you are going through tires this quickly . Especially when the last set were glued on. Does one wheel (top or bottom) show issues first every time ? It seems to me that most bandsaw tires get replaced when they harden/weaken with age more so than wearing out from use alone. I would try what Rod posted next as he is the only one who has posted here that has actually dealt with this problem.

Thank you for all of the thoughts. For those asking/pondering, I've always bought tires from Felder/Hammer in Delaware. These have always been rubber tires. I have not added heat prior to installingr the tires on the Hammer. I have used warm to hot water to install urethane tires on my 14" Rockwell in another life. I don't have the Rockwell anymore. Don't think the water really helped all that much, personally.

The retaining washer on the shaft only contacts the inner race. There is no spacer on the Hammer, IIRC The saw runs fine when it runs. I had a 1" blade on the saw yesterday when the tire came off. This is the first time I've used this blade for any length of time. Previously, I don't recall what blade was on when the tires came off, but it was somewhere between 3/8" and 3/4" as that is about all I've used on this bandsaw. I have ceramic guides and check guide alignment each time I pull the saw out for use.

As to tensioning, I usually run the "needle" about half way into the area designated for the blade size. I have no idea of it's calibration status. I'll pluck the blade when it is returned to service.

Today, I pulled both wheels. The tire was already off the lower wheel. I pulled the tire off the the upper wheel. It seemed glued quite well.

I have two sets of plastic interior trim tools and find they have varied uses including installing bandsaw tires.

I placed an order with Sulpher Grove Tools for urethane tires today. Now to clean the glue off the wheels.

I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 03-18-2022 at 5:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Thank you for all of the thoughts. For those asking/pondering, I've always bought tires from Felder/Hammer in Delaware. These have always been rubber tires. I have not added heat prior to installingr the tires on the Hammer. I have used warm to hot water to install urethane tires on my 14" Rockwell in another life. I don't have the Rockwell anymore. Don't think the water really helped all that much, personally.

The retaining washer on the shaft only contacts the inner race. There is no spacer on the Hammer, IIRC The saw runs fine when it runs. I had a 1" blade on the saw yesterday when the tire came off. This is the first time I've used this blade for any length of time. Previously, I don't recall what blade was on when the tires came off, but it was somewhere between 3/8" and 3/4" as that is about all I've used on this bandsaw. I have ceramic guides and check guide alignment each time I pull the saw out for use.

As to tensioning, I usually run the "needle" about half way into the area designated for the blade size. I have no idea of it's calibration status. I'll pluck the blade when it is returned to service.

Today, I pulled both wheels. The tire was already off the lower wheel. I pulled the tire off the the upper wheel. It seemed glued quite well.

I have two sets of plastic interior trim tools and find they have varied uses including installing bandsaw tires.

I placed an order with Sulpher Grove Tools for urethane tires today. Now to clean the glue off the wheels.

I'll keep you posted.
    Hi, as I posted earlier, please check blade tension and compare it to what the saw indicator says, every time I’ve had a customer with this issue it’s over tensioned blades….Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The instructions that came with the Grizzly tires said to place them in 150 degree water with soap for 5 minutes. I have read that water hotter than that can potentially do damage
    such that the urethane will exceed its elastic limit and not shrink back to the proper size. I figure Grizzly knows what's best for their tires. I can't speak for other manufacturers tires.
    Thanks for digging those figures from Grizzly Lee,
    I figure this is not so easy to achieve the optimum situation to achieve, maybe in summer.
    I've got a undersized to fit "rubber" tire which looks like it would snap if I attempted to stretch it cold.
    I've seen some use a heat gun for smaller machines, maybe that might be a better solution if the time ever comes to replace, and I go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, as I posted earlier, please check blade tension and compare it to what the saw indicator says, every time IÂ’ve had a customer with this issue itÂ’s over tensioned bladesÂ….Regards, Rod
    Hardly able to overtension a 1" blade with this machine, folks like John with his hefty wee Grizzly mentioning figures along the lines of up to 25000 PSI
    Are all these customers with those issues using urethane tires on their saws, Rod?
    maybe a case of folks doing as you suggest with narrow blades, but they sound to me unsuitable for use on resawing machines if not the case.

Curious to see how this saw is setup Eugene, since it sounds like you don't hang about!
    Have you tried alignment with the table off, suppose everyone has seen my posts about this by now.
    Just sayin, as there seems to be a lot of folks which are taking chances regarding alignment, not levelling the machine, to use plumbline on wheels
    depth of shaft and L/R adjustment of carriage on top wheel, and the east west adjustment to match top wheel...
    About the best way I've found to be sure of anything, and quite interesting to note how much one little adjustment effects the rest.
    SAM_4977.jpg
    Top wheel parallel check.jpg

Spelching/tearot of the underside of the work, and compressed set (possibly leading to many destroyed blades)
    is a sign something is up with setup,
    Presuming no vibration is evident on lower wheel when running without blade, since you've got not got an issue pulling the wheels off.

Sounds elusive whatever is wrong

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 03-18-2022 at 6:32 PM.

@Rod, will do. Need to make, borrow, or buy a tensionometer. Trying to put all my energy and resources into dust collection right now.
    @Tom, not clear what you mean by this, "Curious to see how this saw is setup Eugene, since it sounds like you don't hang about!" I saw now issues with the cut quality. If fact I was rather pleased with what the blade was doing. The operator needs practice resawing, LOL. OBTW, I'm on the SC side of the CSRA. Stop by sometime and take a look at the saw. In the meantime, I'll look at the alignment when I can get some tension on the upper wheel.

FWIW, it was an afternoon of cutting green bowl blanks (walnut, cherry, dogwood, and I think a Bradford pear). Some of the end-grain checking meant some of the logs made it to the burn pile and some of it became some short 7-9" wide slabs, 8-20" long, and more pen blanks than I need to save. All of this was
    straight grain, no figure stuff. Not sure any of this paragraph is relevant.

Hi, the tire came off this time, with a 1” blade, not so on previous times, I’ve only seen this on really old tires or on ones where smaller blades were seriously over tensioned.

Now, I’m also possibly wrong in this case…..Rod

We always glued the tires. All I’ve seen that were unglued came off the wheels. I do understand that some have no trouble with unglued
    tires.