Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bandsaw Threw a Tire, Again

Never saw a machinist detension a bandsaw blade during my career in equipment development in private industry, either. Just a habit I have gotten into for woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Never saw a machinist detension a bandsaw blade during my career in equipment development in private industry, either. Just a habit I have gotten into for woodworking.
    Yes, I know, I wonder where that approach came from?

Many people do it.

I can almost guarantee that I would forget to tension it before starting the saw at some point😀

Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Metal working band saws do not have tires, so releasing the tension isn't necessary.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

IMO, I think the constant tensioning and de-tensioning are worse for the blade (metal fatigue) than leaving pressure on the tires.
    Like some others, I'm not sure where this practice came from or what it is suppose to prevent but I don't do it and have not had a tire related issue related to it.

Just my two cents

The reason for detensioning that I've always been given has nothing to do with tires, the practice is claimed to reduce bearing fatigue.
    I'll point out that I don't know if this is true or not, just what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    The reason for detensioning that I've always been given has nothing to do with tires, the practice is claimed to reduce bearing fatigue.
    I'll point out that I don't know if this is true or not, just what I've heard.
    All I know is every bandsaw manual I've had, from shop saws to Woodmizer, indicated in the manual to always detension. So I do. After every day on the Woodmizer and when not planning to use the shop saws for more than a few days.

On the shop saw this reminds me to retension before use:

tension.jpg

JKJ

was told blade stretch and compression on the tire. stroke sander you always take the tension off and best to hang them up. Torque wrench you zero when not used.

Ask a pro usually there are a few left at suppliers. Like sanding grit in wood from a wide belt or stroke sander. Ask a pro at a supplier and he will tell you or find someone in the company who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Eugene, do you want me to email someone at Felder USA on your behalf?

Regards, Rod
    PM sent.

Here are more characters to meet the limit.

I have always used urethane tires. Life is 1-4 years.

I bought a spare set (blue) for my 14" saw and it cracked up on the shelf. So blade tension was not the issue for me.

I have found that urathane tires lose their elasticity over time. I think the issue is "creep" which plastics are susceptible to especially at higher temps.

http://micro-f.co.jp/en/colum_20200324.html

Best experience so far is with orange tires from Grizzly or Sulphur grove tool.

Regards,

Mikail

Felder called Friday and left a message. They called again today. Not a lot of technical help and everything I might want has to come from Austria or has to be fab'd in Austria.

Rep indicated they are developing a new green tire. Not sure if that is related to the environment or the color. Anyway, apparently they have a bump at the joint and won't release the new tire till they figure that out.

I'm thinking this thread can close.
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 05-09-2022 at 9:59 PM.

green for the enviro as lets cut up another tree?

Maybe for Kermit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51BQfPeSK8k

Good one Warren, thanks for the humour……Rod

Kermits father was Lou Forrigno.

Its best not to encourage me.

As mentioned earlier, I have had my Hammer N4400 for 10 years, and am still on the original tyre (Australian/English spelling). Of course, Murphy’s Law, this thread starts up and the tyre comes off. This was two weeks ago. I decided to order a blue Urethane version. This will no doubt take some weeks .. months .. to travel across the ocean. So in the meantime I used contact glue to still down the original type. Its condition is quite good, just stretched. This was not noticeable on the wheel (in unglued state). Clearly, it was not glued in the first place. Since doing so, it has remained tight and there has not been any suggestion of slipping.

I changed the belt as well. This was the original belt. After 10 years the rubber was still good, but it had stretched about 4” and was now at the limit of adjustability.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 05-10-2022 at 12:44 PM.