Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Violin

Making a Violin

Hi All...

After having build this eccentric clock stand using wormy maple and teak veneer.

2022031711183328--7284121604958724373-IMG_2611-M.jpg2022031711183328-2129868722883989235-IMG_2613-M.jpg2022031711183328-1160598703862077112-IMG_2614-M.jpg

I am now interested in building a violin from scratch. Searched the web for paper instructions, schematics, templates, etc. to no avail. Don't want "ready" DIY kits

Can anyone lead me to a full instruction guide. Don't want pc videos but real paper instructions..

Cheers...
    Achtung: Schlau Holz

Try International Violin . Com

I used a book when I was learning to build them, and while it wasn't 100% helpful it had most of the information I needed. If you're interested in a book I will look up the title and author when I'm in the shop tonight. Stew-Mac and other companies sell a full size blueprint if that's what you are looking for.

I'm sure you know this, but a violin is a whole different level of woodworking.

I would personally start with a ukulele first. There are far more modern resources including a ton of books, videos and forums for this. The last point is not to be underestimated. There are a ton of diy guitar makers, so the forums like SMC (there's one called TDPRI) have great people who can guide you AS you build.

If you wish to start with an acoustic instrument in the guitar familiy, check out Luthiers Mercantile.

A violin is a step up even from a ukulele on several levels. Learning about seasoning, arching, bending, fret board radiusing, neck joining, break angles in an acoustic guitar build will be much more attainable than a violin build.

In fact, I'd further counsel starting with a solid body instrument first.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-17-2022 at 2:39 PM.

The trouble with ukulele is Arthur Godfrey is dead. And I don’t think anybody wanted his !! Yes , violins are tough. But if you are sure
    you won’t get discouraged and quit , go ahead. You could read about making bowed instruments for years and apprentice for a guy who has
    been making them for years and the stuff you both make is not gonna sound like a Cremonese violin. If you understand that you are unlikely
    to ever be compared to Strad go for it , there are people who play cherished cigar box violins, several of them !

Blog Entries
    Try Mandolin Cafe. There are some leads in this old thread.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...1-Violin-plans
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-18-2022 at 8:27 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Give a look at Maestronet.com. Lots of info there. Don't be discouraged, your woodworking skills will suffice. Scroll carving will be a challenge, and fun! Good luck...

Thank you Arnold E Schnitzer for your encouragement. Also I want to thank all others for their input and suggestion (where is there an icon for thanking those who have posted here ?) I have mostly build almost all household furnitures since retirement. House is now full and need a bigger one, ahem!! Have had many challenges..where I feel I can do a violin for fun: might become just a wall ornament. Wall ornament ???-you see I am deaf and there is no way that I can basically tune even a cigar box violin. The challenge of building a violin from scratch has always intrigued me.

Cheers...

Many violin makers hold up top and bottom and tap them ,one at a time to make them compatible). I have no idea as to whether that’s
    something you learn from reading ….or its just a fad like bongos.

Blog Entries
    Elmer, I am sorry to read of your hearing challenge. When I check tap tone a lot of what I sense is how the piece feels while hanging in-between loosely pinched fingers. I have yet to make a carved instrument but I do graduate my tops and braces. I think you will be able to feel when your work starts to change from a "thud" or "thunk" feeling to a "ring" or a "ping" feeling. Graham Macdonalds books are very good, but about the Mandolin and Ukulele. There are similarities.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I'll also encourage you to do the build, whether you decide to start with something simpler like a Uke or diving straight into the violin. Do note there are even kits available if you want to take that intermediate step. I've been building electric guitars for a couple of years purely for the pleasure of doing so and despite the fact that I have a physical challenge playing them because of past wrist surgery. The projects are very rewarding, regardless,

BTW, you share a first name with my father.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello Jim Becker...thank you for your encouragement and will do so in due time. Regarding sharing your fathers first name, eh, nice to hear that there's another Elmer around and about but actually my name was supposed to be Elmar Somehow when I became a US citizen from Germany my mother didn't find Elmar too compatible here so changed it to Elmer-- after Elmer Fudd, I suppose. Full name was supposed to be, "Elmar Hartmut Otto Happel"

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Hayes View Post
    Hello Jim Becker...thank you for your encouragement and will do so in due time. Regarding sharing your fathers first name, eh, nice to hear that there's another Elmer around and about but actually my name was supposed to be Elmar Somehow when I became a US citizen from Germany my mother didn't find Elmar too compatible here so changed it to Elmer-- after Elmer Fudd, I suppose. Full name was supposed to be, "Elmar Hartmut Otto Happel".

Cheers...
    I think it’s possible that someone told her that in USA male names usually use “e” not “a”. She wanted you to live Happely .
    Take care and don’t botch it !!

Blog Entries
    Elmer, Chanel your heritage. German Violin building tradition plays second fiddle to Italy by only a small margin.
    Best Regards, Maurice

....Take care too..

Cheers...