Thread: Lie Nielsen Chisels - Setup

Lie Nielsen Chisels - Setup

I bought a bunch of Lie Nielsen chisels and they're absolutely amazing.

That said...the edges are so sharp that they literally cut my fingers if I choke up on them to get into a cut. Do you guys ever ease the edges on these chisels?

I didnt with my veritas. I dont use them too heavily, but when i do I avoid wrapping around the metal tightly. I will hold top and bottom occasionally but never around the sides.

I've heard of this, but haven't experienced it.

But I have heard of people easing the edges.

I had the same problem... just took a small diamond file (maybe 1k grit or so...?) and just took a few strokes on the sharp edges to break the edge... works like a charm and no more slicing fingers...

Mine have very crisp edge geometry, but not cutting edges. I've had them a few years and have never had an issue.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I eased mine. The edges are now crisp, but not as sharp as they were. I got mine very shortly after they were introduced. Most of the time I just wish chisels were flat and square enough for this to be an issue.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

One of my L-Ns had edges so crisp I could hardly pick it up without bleeding. I left future cutting edge on the lower side alone back an inch or so, but the rest of the corners I eased. I think I used a fine file and then sand paper to clean up.

I typically hit the edges of my chisels with sandpaper to ease them. I don’t do much, but enough to keep them from cutting me.

I recently purchased 5 LN chisels, all of them had a 10 thousands or so wide flats on the long edges. Definitely not enough to cut my fingers. But 1 of my 5 the back was not even close to flat.
    Last edited by todd butler; 03-18-2022 at 10:06 PM.

Bought mine years ago and had bleeding fingers until I softened the edges with a fine diamond stone. Just enough to remove the knife edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Weber View Post
    Bought mine years ago and had bleeding fingers until I softened the edges with a fine diamond stone. Just enough to remove the knife edge.
    That's basically what I did, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by todd butler View Post
    I recently purchased 5 LN chisels, all of them had a 10 thousands or so wide flats on the long edges. Definitely not enough to cut my fingers. But 1 of my 5 the back was not even close to flat.
    If you bought them new, why not send the one back to LN. For what you pay, it needs to be flat.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    If you bought them new, why not send the one back to LN. For what you pay, it needs to be flat.
    Agreed. Having bought a lot of stuff from them, seems like they take pride in everything leaving the factory perfect.