Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ Shop Build – Finally Started Work

NJ Shop Build – Finally Started Work

Well, it has been quite some time; but work has finally started on the new shop addition I previously posted about. I mentioned in an earlier post that the goal was to get the shop out from the basement and to accommodate a larger stroke sliding table saw and possibly CNC. For a number of reasons, the property did not support a separate building so I ended up adding an addition to our walkout basement of approximately 320 Sq/Ft where I will do bench and non-large machine work. Here’s a concept drawing of the outside and a pic of work starting.

p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpg

To do this I moved my existing equipment out of the corner of the basement to a space adjacent to the new addition. Here’s a pic of the old space. And a photo of the new space where the equipment has been moved. I’ll post a pic of the new layout once all the clutter is relocated.

p4.jpgp5.jpg

Best,
    Sal
    Thanks,
    Sal

Excellent. I very much a fan of having the shop attached to the house, provided that the shop noise is controlled. My new shop is an addition to the attached garage so the noise doesn't get to the house. How do you plan to handle the noise?
    The Plane Anarchist

First and foremost, being kind to my wife!
    Since I’ve been working in the basement for about 14 years, the track record has been successful.

I find that as a hobby shop the machines are not running for very extended periods of time.

The biggest contributors to noise are the dust collector and the compressor. I am looking at a California air tools 20 gallon Compressor to help with that noise. Also I built a closet for both the dust collector and the compressor. Once I get settled in the machine space,I need to work on that closet to minimize the noise. I started by putting rock wool on the non-cinderblock walls and ceiling.

I remember your posts planning and dreaming this space. I know it feels good to have the dream become a reality. I like the rear elevation. It looks nicely integrated into the existing house. I suppose there is an elevated porch/deck over the shop? That will be a nice addition to the main level. Congratulations.

'Glad you have your project going, Sal! I'll be following along for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Thomas and yes. The original deck was just demoed and a new one will be built over the addition. It will be slightly larger than before which will be a nice bonus.

Some progress...

Footings done and inspected, block walls completed with insulation and waterproofing. Now waiting for some clear weather to pour the slab.

Block Walls.jpg
    Thanks,
    Sal

Nice progress!

Unfortunately, this is not going to be your week for a concrete pour based on the weather...rain starting later today and not abating until Friday it looks like.
    --

Yes... I was anxious to see the slab done since they are ready for framing. Oh well. Waited quite a while already. Hopefully by end of May/June we will be done.

Sal
    Thanks,
    Sal

They theoretically could do the slab after the framing work... ...but doing framing in the rain isn't fun, either.

I took advantage of the sun yesterday to do my initial grade baselines with the laser as I knew that most of the week is going to be more appropriate for indoor activities. This is not going to be a good week for the building trades where something isn't already enclosed!
    --

Actually rainy weather can work ok for a concrete pour, if it is not real heavy. Your finisher will know what to do. Anyone can place concrete but a good finisher can make all the difference. I definitely recommend hiring a good finisher.

You have a couple of downspouts to manage. I guess you could run them just under the new eves.

Concrete is starting today!

Tom, We installed drainage pipe both inside and outside of the footings. They tie into a drywell at the back of the yard. The downspouts from the roof will also be connected along with runoff from the new deck/roof.

Very exciting! I hope the pour goes well and it's a beautiful day for it for sure!

Meanwhile, my back yard feels like a swampy-bog...we got 3.57" of rain in the last two days.
    --

Slab poured and initial framing done. Nice that it now feels like a real space.
    Roofers should be in tomorrow to install the waterproof membrane under what will be the deck.

shop.jpg
    Thanks,
    Sal

Good move with all the windows...not only nice for you, but very attractive to potential buyers for "someday" when it's time for you to move on. The roof deck will be nice outdoor living space, too. Matt Cremona is doing a similar thing above his addition project and the membrane just went on for that, too.
    --