Thread: Jewelry Chest

Blog Entries

Jewelry Chest

I very much appreciate the ideas and inspiration I get from looking at the cool project posted here. Posting some pictures of a jewelry box I recently completed. For those interested, there is a build thread with description/pictures in the Neanderthal forum.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Very, very nice. The wood selection is very nice. Tell us more about dimensions and finishes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Another beautiful job Mike. I like the contrating woods and the carving adds a nice look.
    Thanks for sharing!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That is a masterpiece!!

Hello Mike, another great piece. Enjoyed the build thread. The veneer work, carving and moldings really sets it apart. That walnut burl (or most burls for that matter), can be a bugger, huh?!. I use the softener from veneer supplies…works exceptionally well.

The key here is to buy her so much jewelry that it won’t all fit in the purchased box. That could, however, make yours the most expensive box you’ve ever made!

Enjoy seeing your work…always an inspiration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very, very nice. The wood selection is very nice. Tell us more about dimensions and finishes.
    Thanks a lot Lee I really appreciate your feedback.

Chest is approximately 26 inches tall by 16 inches wide, by 11 inches deep. Primary wood is American black walnut. Drawer fronts are shaped out of Basswood and main Veneers walnut burl with Elm burl trim and curly maple cock beading.

Finishing is my least favorite part of Woodworking – for me only seems like an opportunity To screw up otherwise good work. This is my go to: Watco oil/varnish sanded wet with 600 grit and then French polish shellac with paste wax.

Thanks for looking!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fred, Ron and Phil – always great to hear from you guys.

Lately I’ve only been able to work in small pieces like this because no room for any more furniture in the house. I’m surprised that smaller pieces aren’t really appreciably faster to build than larger casework.

I am enjoying carving more than when I first started, but I still prefer it in small doses – for me, it’s extremely time-consuming and hard on the eyes, although there is something satisfying about directly shaping the final work piece directly off edge tools.

I’m feeling more comfortable with hammer veneering and hide glue, although extremely thin commercially available Veneers always make it a bit of a Highwire act for me, there’s always the risk of sanding through the veneer in final cleanup. I hate when that happens!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    That is not woodworking. That is wood art. Beautiful chest.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    That is not woodworking. That is wood art. Beautiful chest.
    Thanks Von for your service. My Dad flew F105’s out of Thailand in those bad old days.

Cheers, Mike

Incredibly well done with some great attention to detail!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nicely done. What will you do for handles on the drawers?

A beautiful piece of work. You can be very proud.
    Charlie Jones

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    Very nicely done. What will you do for handles on the drawers?
    Just got the hardware today- one more chance to screw things up. Hoping I get them installed reasonable straight- I guess we'll see

Well Mike. What else can I say. Just stunning as always.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Well Mike. What else can I say. Just stunning as always.
    Thanks Ron - means a lot especially coming from you! Love your work. Your saws are functional art.