Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Is there a market for basic cars, appliances,etc?

I've heard that used car dealers keep the second FOB when they get a car with two. There's companies that sell them used that buy them from the dealers. They may not get much for a used FOB but when you have 20 a month it adds up. Most people never think twice about only getting one when they buy a used car.

Over thirty years ago I helped my sister buy a new Ford SUV when they were just coming out. Her FIL worked for Ford so she got the employee pricing. Too kseveral trips to talk to the correct guy. Very interesting he had a binder with factory costs and real costs for every option. This was the real price to the dealer not the "factory price". The markup on options is impressive like 50% or more.
    The dealer can sell cars at cost and make $1-3,000 profit. He pays the factory cost but if he sells a certain number of cars in a given time they knock off 1-3,000. dollars per car.
    They literally can lose money on every sale and make up for it with volume.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Interesting how my “basic product” thread has evolved into a discussion of key fobs, a perfect example of what is NOT a basic product.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Interesting how my “basic product” thread has evolved into a discussion of key fobs, a perfect example of what is NOT a basic product.
    I think that's part of the discussion on some level. It really depends on how important you think anti-theft is, since that's what's driving a lot of the costs of the fob. The other stuff adds a bit of cost, but not really that much for what are essentially mass produced items. OTOH, I would totally agree that the unlock and auto-start features are a bit of complex fluff.

I consider fobs as very much a 'basic product', boil it all down, they're simply an ignition key to start your car! - and for people like me, I'd rather have a plain old car key any day...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

At one time, a physical key was high tech. Today, keyless entry is old stuff and it's pretty secure. You can jump a key ignition, but it's tough to get around a modern keyless ignition.

I see two disadvantages of keyless ignition: 1) if your vehicle battery is dead, you need a mechanical key to get into the car, and 2) you have to change the battery in the fob occasionally.

I've been living with a keyless ignition car for 15 years and love it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Most keyless ignition fobs have a physical hard key inserted that can be used to open the door if necessary. Once inside, the end can be pressed into the dash button and non-powered near field recognition will start the vehicle, even if the fob battery is dead. Other features that use transmission from the fob are not going to work if the fob battery is toast, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I see two disadvantages of keyless ignition: 1) if your vehicle battery is dead, you need a mechanical key to get into the car, and 2) you have to change the battery in the fob occasionally.
    I don't know how common it is, but Honda, and at least one other mentioned in this thread, has a mechanical key embedded in the fob. Besides working the doors, you can lock the glovebox and the trunk release with it, then keep the key and give the fob to the parking attendant/mechanic/car-wash guy.

One other feature I didn't know it had until the car was a couple years old: there's a warning light/chime if the car detects that the fob battery is getting low. In any case, you can still unlock and start the car with a dead fob battery, it just requires holding the fob close enough to the door handle and the start button for the system to read the embedded RFID chip.

I've been living with a keyless ignition car for 15 years and love it.
    Only 6+ years in my case, but second that.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Most keyless ignition fobs have a physical hard key inserted that can be used to open the door if necessary. Once inside, the end can be pressed into the dash button and non-powered near field recognition will start the vehicle, even if the fob battery is dead. Other features that use transmission from the fob are not going to work if the fob battery is toast, however.
    I type too damn slow, but I have an excuse:

Type so slow.jpeg
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

Type so slow.jpeg
    Ah...a helper to insure you keep to a steady, safe pace...

Fortunately, Sammula doesn't like to type...

IMG_E1027.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Type so slow.jpeg
    That's a great picture. What's your friend's name?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That's a great picture. What's your friend's name?

Mike
    That's Reggie: Corgi-Cocker mix, coming up on 10 years old in June.
    He somehow manages to crawl into my lap from very odd angles.

Only 6+ years in my case, but second that.
    Maybe 16+ days in my case, but I'll third that. Put the fob in your pocket and you're good to go.

Yes- a mechanical key is included in our new Kia Sportage fob. Not a switchblade, you have to press a button and yank it out. Had no clue it was in there until I watched a video about the car.

Pro tip! If you buy a new car today, seek out and watch EVERY video online you can find about how it works. You will be glad you did. Then after watching all those videos, you will understand maybe half of your car's capabilities.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 04-30-2022 at 1:57 AM.

Mechanical key included in my fob, also. Forgot to mention that. Had to use it once or twice to open a door when my car battery died.

Mike

My wife had her SUV for several months until we releazed it only ha sone keyhole outside. So having a fob saves the maker two lock cylinders and associated linkages.
    Bill D