Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Is there a market for basic cars, appliances,etc?

Zachary, shop around. Lee is correct that they are not only charging full boat for the fob, but also a lot of time for what doesn't take near to that to perform. But if that dealer was the one that sold you the vehicle with only one fob...push them hard about that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you both for the advice. I will look for a locksmith who can do it. We're kind of out here in the sticks, but I will need to go to Syracuse to get a countertop soon, so maybe I can combine two trips into one. I bought the car from a used car dealer on eBay, which was a gamble but paid off. It came from Philadelphia and was delivered up here with just the one key. It was in better shape than I thought it might be when I bought it, so overall I have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Thank you both for the advice. I will look for a locksmith who can do it. We're kind of out here in the sticks, but I will need to go to Syracuse to get a countertop soon, so maybe I can combine two trips into one. I bought the car from a used car dealer on eBay, which was a gamble but paid off. It came from Philadelphia and was delivered up here with just the one key. It was in better shape than I thought it might be when I bought it, so overall I have no complaints.
    Just FYI, you might need to wait until you have DMV paperwork (title/registration) with your name on it. The locksmith I used wouldn't do it just based on the purchase paperwork...too easy to fake, I guess.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I bought a 2020 Ford Edge last Summer. It had push-to-start and the vehicle must detect the key fob or it won't start. The dealer said don't lose it - replacement fobs are $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Just FYI, you might need to wait until you have DMV paperwork (title/registration) with your name on it. The locksmith I used wouldn't do it just based on the purchase paperwork...too easy to fake, I guess.
    Thanks for the warning. I've owned the car for a bit over a year now so that shouldn't be a problem, I imagine.

Just me I guess but it seems ridiculous that I can buy what I consider an overpriced phone 13, or a great many different varieties
    of brand new laptop computers, for less than a... a... a friggin' KEYFOB?
    eek2.gif
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Just me I guess but it seems ridiculous that I can buy what I consider an overpriced phone 13, or a great many different varieties
    of brand new laptop computers, for less than a... a... a friggin' KEYFOB?
    Then again, based on some of the things you've said here about smartphones and new computers, you'd probably get more use out of the keyfob.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Blog Entries
    Last evening I loved the 2010 Prius because it did not lock me out with the one and only $149.00 key fob and dog inside, even when I did my best to do so. This evening I am grumbling as I try to figure out how to unwind the electric parking brake without a service computer. I have never had a car with rear disc brakes or electric emergency drake adjustors. Thanks to the web I see that reverse polarity should unwind the bake caliper.
    Our technology causes lots of problems. We are going to need really great technology to survive the problems we have created for ourselves.

IMG_0502.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-26-2022 at 8:26 PM. Reason: spelling+ the rotor needs turned too
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    $80 for that key is "cheap" compared to what many modern fobs cost to add/replace and then have programed!

Someone told me with the fob would be $350 or more. Just a key was $30 plus $50 to program it. My CJ2a doesn't even have a key.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Then again, based on some of the things you've said here about smartphones and new computers, you'd probably get more use out of the keyfob.
    I get plenty of use out of computers; my main gripe is the forced obsolescence built into them, and the manufacturer's ability to mess with them even though I instruct my computers to ban them from doing so.

My problem with an $800 keyfob, is: what exactly does it do that makes it worth $800? Will it tell the car to tie up and subdue would be burglars and car thieves? How about tazing these jerks stealing catalytic converters? If all these fobs do is disable the car, there's way cheaper ways to do that!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My problem with an $800 keyfob, is: what exactly does it do that makes it worth $800? Will it tell the car to tie up and subdue would be burglars and car thieves? How about tazing these jerks stealing catalytic converters? If all these fobs do is disable the car, there's way cheaper ways to do that!
    I suppose it's all supply and demand. The number of fobs replaced each year is fairly small, I expect. If everyone had to replace their fob each year, there would be some competition in that market.

As it is, I think locksmiths can provide you with a replacement fob at a cheaper price than the dealer.

I have a real key stuck into my fob that will open or lock the doors if the battery is dead. I lost one (not the rest of the fob) and the dealer replaced it for less than $100. I thought that was expensive but the key had to fit into the fob and they were the only place I knew of to get the replacement.

I really like the keyless ignition. Push a button and the door opens and I don't have to use a key to start the car.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I really like the keyless ignition. Push a button and the door opens and I don't have to use a key to start the car.
    The things I like most about it are (1) it's almost impossible to lose my "key" while I'm out and about and (2) it's virtually impossible to lock it inside the car.
    The first is due to the fact that it never leaves my pocket except at home (or possibly the hotel room on vacation): there's no need to push a button to lock/unlock, as the car senses the fob up to about five feet away.
    The second is partly due to the first, but also because the system itself simply won't let you and beeps annoyingly if you try. (We had to get one of those Faraday bags for vacations, because the car wouldn't let SWMBO lock her purse in the trunk with the spare fob in it.)

I've noticed that few, if any, of the needed replacement fobs on this thread were lost, they were missing "extra" fobs on second-hand cars. There must be a couple million $ worth of fobs sitting in kitchen junk drawers because someone sold/traded-in a car and didn't give all the fobs to the buyer. Although you'd think a dealer taking a trade would insist on it, apparently that doesn't always happen.

I get plenty of use out of computers; my main gripe is the forced obsolescence built into them, and the manufacturer's ability to mess with them even though I instruct my computers to ban them from doing so.

Well, as has been pointed out several times, there's a hellacious dealer markup, with cheaper non-dealer alternatives. But your $800 number is almost double the highest dealer price mentioned so far.
    I have no doubt there are cars out there with $800 key fobs, but if you own one of those cars, you've been holding out on us.

My problem with an $800 keyfob, is: what exactly does it do that makes it worth $800?
    Usually they're associated with cars that tell the world you're at best broke, or living in debt up to your eyeballs.

Blog Entries
    There has been a Smart For Two Electric Drive car zipping around the neighborhood. I hope to find a way to test drive or ride in one of those.
    Best Regards, Maurice