Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Day Light Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What I hate is signs and notes that say 12:00 Am or 12:00Pm. There is no such time! Teachers in my district where told if a assignment had to be submitted by midnight set it as 11:59 PM. Or 12:01Am.
    Bill D
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I’ve always known 12am to be midnight, and 12pm to be noon. If you say 12am and 12pm don’t exist, what does 12:00 mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My computer thinks the same as Jason regarding 12:00
    This kind of thing is exactly why I prefer the 24 hour clock... But that's kinda like discussing, um...metric vs Imperial I suspect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’ve always known 12am to be midnight, and 12pm to be noon. If you say 12am and 12pm don’t exist, what does 12:00 mean?
    Using a 24 hour clock resolves this, at least on things like train schedules. So much easier to deal with.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What I hate is signs and notes that say 12:00 Am or 12:00Pm. There is no such time! Teachers in my district where told if a assignment had to be submitted by midnight set it as 11:59 PM. Or 12:01Am.
    Bill D
    My computer thinks the same as Jason regarding 12:00
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This kind of thing is exactly why I prefer the 24 hour clock... But that's kinda like discussing, um...metric vs Imperial I suspect.
    An engineer who was a co-worker used to argue about this. His feeling was that 12:00 noon and 12:00am were the same thing. It gave me the feeling he showed up at the wrong time for something and was trying to defend his error. My point was that 12:00n and one nanosecond fell into the realm of PM. 12:00m and one nanosecond was in the realm of AM. He didn't like my reasoning.

For fun and clarity it may be better to say "high noon" or "midnight."

One of my employers was a public transit agency. Using the 24 hour clock made sense there. Though it never was natural for me. Always had to do a little mental math.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    For fun and clarity it may be better to say "high noon" or "midnight."
    I had several coworkers who considered the phrase "high noon" to be aspirational.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One of my employers was a public transit agency. Using the 24 hour clock made sense there. Though it never was natural for me. Always had to do a little mental math.
    Growing up as an Air Force brat, I always thought of the 24-hour clock as "military time".
    It wasn't until I was in grad school that I realized anybody else used it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I had several coworkers who considered the phrase "high noon" to be aspirational.
    I've worked with people like that and avoided them after "high noon" if they were operating any machinery or other dangerous equipment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Growing up as an Air Force brat, I always thought of the 24-hour clock as "military time".
    It wasn't until I was in grad school that I realized anybody else used it.
    I actually do use it 'cause I like it, but obviously have to adjust when communicating with people
    --

Blog Entries
    The military uses the 24 hour clock to avoid confusion regarding time.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-21-2022 at 5:38 PM.

Not to mention GMT "Zulu" time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John E. Hobart View Post
    Split the difference bump it up 1/2 hr. That will really get them going!
    John,
    I’ve been thinking the same thing. This is not a choice between standard or daylight times. We can choose any value between the two.

here’s a question. I would assume that somewhere in each of the time zone is a meridian that matches solar time. I found something that suggests that the match is not in the center of the zone but towards the eastern edge. If that’s the case, I wonder why. Would it also make sense to readjust the zones?

The last change in 2007 was a pain in the rear when the change dates went from April to March and from October to November. It made keeping old records (like medical records) a pain in the rear since GMT to local DST was no longer a straight forwards conversion. This change will be easier but still require code changes to account for the new rules. I am all for making it permanent but really don't look forwards to diving into all that old legacy code again.

I use it for myself, but automatically convert for others’ sake when communicating. I’ve been doing that so long that it’s second nature.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I was one of those kids walking to the bus stop (1/2 mile) in the dark, on our country roads with no shoulder, just a ditch. It was not fun, let me tell you.
    Light, dark, it doesn't matter, the work still needs to get done. Adjust your schedule and leave the clock alone.
    Pick one and stick with it, then people can find something else to complain about every six months.
    Exactly my story. I live on the Western edge of the time zone and for my whole life have never awakened to sunlight on a work day or school day. In the summer it stays light until almost 11:00. When I moved to Indiana in 1994, we didn't observe DST. It was glorious. I got to wake up to the sun and birds and drive to work in daylight. It got dark at a reasonable time of night. Then a pack of idiots at the State house decided we were viewed as bumpkins for not changing, and shoved through a measure that had us join the insanity. I really think they were chapped because they couldn't get a full 18 holes in after work.

I get that those living at the Eastern edge of the zone have a completely different viewpoint. I'd hate for it to get dark at 4:00 PM in the winter too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I use it for myself, but automatically convert for others’ sake when communicating. I’ve been doing that so long that it’s second nature.
    Ditto for me, Jason....
    --

If you've ever had to get up at different times during a week for a job or school or whatever, I don't think it's a big deal. You can adjust your own personal schedule much easier than changing the reference time the entire country uses.
    If you normally start work at 8am for one half of the year, your boss could simply say, for the next six months we'll be starting at 9am. Doesn't sound so hard to me.
    Many professions work when there's sunlight, regardless of what time the clock says, always have and probably always will. "Sun up" is at a different time everyday.
    The whole concept has outlived whatever benefit it was supposed to provide. IMHO