Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Day Light Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That makes zero sense. To "work the longest possible full day", you just need to start at sunrise and stop at sunset. Why would you care when "noon" is?

+1
    Adjust your schedule not the clock

And I would say that "a day" 24 hours. Or 1,440 minutes. Or 86,400 seconds. When 'the light is on' has nothing to do with it...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

No ,it’s not all pretend time. A noon mark could be a stick or tower and lots of stuff in between. It took quite a while a while for the first
    clocks to get as accurate as a noon mark , indeed they were set by noon marks. I still remember being a kid often in a room full of adults
    and hearing someone ask the time . I would usually hear at least 4 different answers . The almanacs still put sun stuff in because people are interested in their solar system and time keeping. Today there are still old noon marks. A nutty woman in my town found what is obviously
    a noon mark in the form of a cairn. She refuses to accept what it is because she loves to get her name in the paper. Several times the
    answers turned in by passers-by were nut-case stuff ….all dutifully turned in the news paper and unfortunately reported by the news paper.
    We live in world with a lot of nutty people who’s off the cuff blathering is printed.

Decided to detail more about “nutty lady” , AKA noon mark doubter. The cairn noon mark is pyramidal and diagonal to noon sun. Shadow is
    cast by the peak . It’s a big wide thing , when sun is in high summer it’s light shines on all sides and the point can not cast a shadow on to
    ground. But wait ! The north corner is tucked back so it makes the shadow even though it’s only about a foot above the ground. I’ve been
    there at high summer and seen it work. When I figured it out and checked it out I showed it to her. But she ain’t about to give up her
    mystery. Gonna look for traces of the old ground line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    If the job must be finished “today” you must have half the work done by mid-day. Farmers are good at math! People who own
    fine watches sometimes don’t want to use them in the field. It was common for a farmer observing that it was noon and he had not done
    half the work to ask for help. Thanks for asking the question, I was not clear. Things like an unusually early frost coming could change
    priorities . I’ve seen guys get fooled by “pretend time” and scramble to get the job done.
    That must have been way before my time to call the neighbors in if the job wasn't going well. I grew up on the farm and my father farmed all his life and I never heard him reference anything like that. They well knew what most jobs entailed and planned for it in advance. Combining resources to make it more efficient. Steam engines and threshing machines were a common example of this. Some hauled shocks in and someone hauled water for the steam engine. Others pitched the crop in and others hauled the thrashed grain away. I remember them getting together to help work cattle or it might be pouring a concrete pad. At least this is how it was done in the corn belt. What you suggest would mean whomever you asked to help would have to abandon what they were doing to help. So then their work wouldn't get completed.

If the job must be finished “today” you must have half the work done by mid-day. Farmers are good at math! People who own
    fine watches sometimes don’t want to use them in the field. It was common for a farmer observing that it was noon and he had not done
    half the work to ask for help. Thanks for asking the question, I was not clear. Things like an unusually early frost coming could change
    priorities . I’ve seen guys get fooled by “pretend time” and scramble to get the job done.

If they couldn't tell time, then how did they know an early frost was coming? When we were farming, most of the work got done BEFORE noon. Same in construction. Morning hours were always more productive.

Bruce, Funny stuff !!

Blog Entries
    No ,it’s not all pretend time.
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
    -- Albert Einstein
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Spent many years working in winter from dark to dark. That's what happens when you have to be at work at 6:00 am. Survived it.

Listened to an interesting podcast on this today on Freakonomics MD. Conflicting studies regarding medical, health and safety issues with our present switching system.

Oh, and they mentioned something I didn't know. It's "Daylight Saving Time, not "Savings". Who knew????

Personally, I hate the change.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-20-2022 at 10:18 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

What I hate is signs and notes that say 12:00 Am or 12:00Pm. There is no such time! Teachers in my district where told if a assignment had to be submitted by midnight set it as 11:59 PM. Or 12:01Am.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What I hate is signs and notes that say 12:00 Am or 12:00Pm. There is no such time! Teachers in my district where told if a assignment had to be submitted by midnight set it as 11:59 PM. Or 12:01Am.
    Bill D
    yep, that’s why we have “noon”

No ,it’s not all pretend time.
    Time is a construct. It only matters if people agree on the construct. If you don't have to interact with anyone else, you can reference your time system to whatever you would like. While solar noon is an easily referenced time point, but it is not a consistent point. https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essen...st-solar-noon/ Solar noon varies when compared to an atomic clock, by up to about 15 minutes over the course of a year.

I would venture to bet that now in a roomful of adults you would get a more consistent answer to what time it is, since a large number of folks are using their cell phones as their time piece (at least the under 40 crowd). The phone's time is set by the network which references a NIST atomic clock.

To rephrase the quip " You can call me anything you want, but don't call me late to dinner" ... You can call dinner time anything you want, as long as it is clear when the meal is. :-) That is as long as there is agreement amongst those using the time system, it works. Referencing solar noon is not better than any other reference point, but actually worse since it is only consistent definition along on line of longitude.

And “long horn cattle”, is just a construct since they are all pretty much the same size. But if you don’t have to interact with other people
    or try to tell time with horn “tips” then violence can usually be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    I’ve always known 12am to be midnight, and 12pm to be noon. If you say 12am and 12pm don’t exist, what does 12:00 mean?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I’ve always known 12am to be midnight, and 12pm to be noon. If you say 12am and 12pm don’t exist, what does 12:00 mean?
    My computer thinks the same as Jason regarding 12:00
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute