Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Day Light Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    And what's Arizona to do, they don't even DO daylight savings time?
    Interestingly one of the Senate folks actively spearheading this is from Arizona. They have successfully embraced the "no seasonal time change" and I doubt there will be any issue with them doing a one time sync with the rest of the country if the House passes this and the White House signs it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John E. Hobart View Post
    Split the difference bump it up 1/2 hr. That will really get them going!
    I've actually had that specific thought for years now, John. Split the difference. If I'm not mistaken there's a chunk of geography in the north east maritime part of North America that's a "half hour" different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Personally, I don't care much either way. Of all the issues facing the USA, I put this pretty low on the list.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

The reason Arizona doesn't embrace DST is they don't relish the extra hour of intense summer HEAT at night. It'll surprise me if their citizens don't balk at moving the clocks ahead permanently...

Guess I'm the only one who LIKES DST...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Very much in favor of eliminating the time change, but (as a morning person) I'd pick standard time, not daylight saving time as the one standard to stick to. Having the sun up when I want to go to bed in the summer reminds me too much of being a little kid-- except then I wanted to stay out and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I tought about the kids in the dark too, but they could just adjust school hours during the winter months to compenste I suppose.
    So the kids still have time change. I like standard time for as I am a morning person and always have been. it stays light long enough in the evening in the summer time.

Blog Entries
    Just stay on Standard Time.
    Them tell everyone to shift their start times one hour to gain the after normal work hours daylight.

Howard Garner

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The reason Arizona doesn't embrace DST is they don't relish the extra hour of intense summer HEAT at night. It'll surprise me if their citizens don't balk at moving the clocks ahead permanently...

Guess I'm the only one who LIKES DST...

We will stay on Mountain Standard Time.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I hate switching my clock. Have heard and support making Standard time the norm. Lived in the Yukon as a kid, really ridiculous there extra daylight when you already have 20 plus hours naturally most of the summer then "fall back" when daylight almost disappears most of the Winter . Winter definitely brought out the worst in some people with all the darkness.

When you observe a shadow thrown down by a noon mark onto to the earth ,and yet never breaking , you can look at your work and know
    if you can finish it before dark, When you find that you can’t you can try to round up a neighbor or two or just adjust your plan. With
    ‘pick -a- time” you lose track of what is real time. I concede that the fanciful adjustable time makes it easy to forget to show up on time
    for boring stuff.

110% in favor of DST all year!!! I detest the time change crap!!

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This is one big pet peeve that nearly everyone actually agrees on!
    For some arbitrarily low value of "agree". Most people hate screwing around with their clocks, but I suspect if it were actually put to a vote, it would break 45% for all-year DST, 45% for all-year standard, and 10% for "Who gives a flying...".
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-16-2022 at 9:09 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Don't care for current start / end dates for DST. When it changes in the fall, Monday afternoon was the most depressing day of the year. It got dark before I got home - SUDDENLY! Went to rehab this morning with kids standing in the dark waiting for the bus. In winter, means they will be at school for two hours before it gets light. In evenings want to be outside doing things, but the rest of my world says go inside. Currently, contractors near house are having to delay go to work times back an hour because it's still dark. This also means workers get home and hour later, so the effect of DST is lost on them. Means families who used eat dinner around seven, are now eating around eight. If they have little ones, it's hurry up and eat your dinner, because you have to get to bed. Not much family time.

My parents always like standard time as you could start picking the tomatoes earlier so you got 1 hour more work before the 3 o'clock truck would come. The truck came at 3 every day so he could get unloaded by 5. All the greenhouse people liked standard time. In the summer it stays light long enough on standard time.

I'll be surprised if this lasts longer than the last attempt at this in the US.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut