Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy materials for summer projects now

Buy materials for summer projects now

I plan to replace the galvanized pipes under the house this summer or fall. I decided to buy the PEX pipe now. I figure it is basically solid petroleum so the price will go up sharply, soon. Home depot does not carry pex-a. Lowes I had to special order it but they have free delivery of 100 foot coils.
    Bill D.
    Stupid HD search engine when I put in -"pex-B" all they show is pex-B pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Stupid HD search engine when I put in -"pex-B" all they show is pex-B pipe.
    Maybe I'm missing something here but if you search pex-B pipe wouldn't you expect to see pex-B results??

My search shows Pex-A at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pex-a%2520pipe?NCNI-5

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here but if you search pex-B pipe wouldn't you expect to see pex-B results??
    The hyphen before the quoted statement means do no include. Or should anyway. Search engines suck for the most part.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Big box home improvement stores have different product/inventory mixes depending where they are. Many of them will also show search results that indicate an alternative location for availability when the local store is out or doesn't carry something. HD's system works that way in my experience. But also consider a "real" plumbing supply for a serious project when you want a particular PEX "system"/brand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    My search shows Pex-A at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pex-a%2520pipe?NCNI-5
    I could only find the 1/2 in pex-a. Lowes got the sale thanks to hds search engine failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    The hyphen before the quoted statement means do no include. Or should anyway. Search engines suck for the most part.
    Is it a hypen? I thought it was a minus sign. Is there a difference on the keyboard.
    Bill D

I could only find the 1/2 in pex-a. Lowes got the sale thanks to hds search engine failure.
    That link showed 3/4" available with free delivery. I think Barry is correct. Your search returned exactly what you searched for. I rarely use either of those two businesses. Menards is my go to for most things. I realize that isn't an option out your way however.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I did not put in " pex-B". I put in "-pex-b". I thought that would remove any result with "pex-b".
    The logic gets a bit confusing when they use "-" in the title. Like PEX-A and PEX-B.
    maybe the search engine sees it as a double negative and thus includes only stuff with PEX-B in the title. But that is not true since it returned a few pex-a things.
    Ferguson pipe will not talk to me since I am not a licensed contractor. I should have asked normac. Not sure if they carry pex or not. I doubt it.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-17-2022 at 2:12 AM.

I need to buy a few more sheets of 2" Polyiso insulation. In a month the cost went from $32 to $47 at Hoe Despot. Holding at $33 at Lowes.
    Bill D

I have an acct at Ferguson. I could place a “will call” order for you. That would be the Uponor pex-A which is all I use. Certainly there are other good products but I’ve had excellent results with Uponor. I also have the expanding tool which I much prefer to the crimp ring. Should you choose to go this way, I’ll send you my Milwaukee tool. I lent it to a friend who had the hand operated expander. He said it “saved his a**”. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks for the offer Jack. I have the handtool for expansion pex. I was able to order the pex-A tubing from Lowes so I think I am set for this project. Like I said I am not going to do this until summer at the earliest. I also need to do some attic insulation and radiant foil work.
    Bill D

I need to buy a few more sheets of 2" Polyiso insulation. In a month the cost went from $32 to $47 at Hoe Despot. Holding at $33 at Lowes.
    I wish I could find 2” polyiso isulation at any of the big box stores locally. Menards is special order with a month lead time. One insulation supplier will sell retail, but they are a 50+ mile round trip and I don’t need it bad enough to spend that much on gas.

I have three Hd's and one lowes within 5 miles. I am lucky if one of them will have one or two sheets of the 2" polyiso.

I haven't been to Lowes, but neither Menards nor Home Depot seem to carry 2" polyiso here. There isn't even an spot on the shelves for it.