Thread: Marking On Dark Woods

Marking On Dark Woods

Here is something to share for those that it may interest. For marking on dark woods I would use a regular white art pencil. No matter how sharp I got the point it would blunt on the first mark and smudge. I recently ordered some white 0.9 ceramic fabric lead, tried it out today and it works great. Nice crisp lines and no blunting. Just thought I'd share.

CW.jpg
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Great tip, one I will try out. My experiences with the white art pencil are same as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    Great tip, one I will try out. My experiences with the white art pencil are same as yours.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RD0TSMQ...roduct_details

that is a good tip...I used a hacksaw blade today laid it flat to strike a straight line the teeth held it from sliding... it worked great.

Thanks, Dale. I put that on my Amazon shopping list...I also have been using the white or near-white art pencils and they do lose the point really fast.

Make sure you post those ebony planes in the Woodworking Projects area when they are all completed...folks will enjoy seeing your craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Thanks, Dale. I put that on my Amazon shopping list...I also have been using the white or near-white art pencils and they do lose the point really fast.

Make sure you post those ebony planes in the Woodworking Projects area when they are all completed...folks will enjoy seeing your craftsmanship!
    Thanks Jim, will do!

I tried out the lead on rough sawn stock last night as well. You need a little lighter touch to avoid breaking the lead but the marks were nice and crisp. They seem a bit harder than an art pencil and the consistent 0.9 mm line is nice to have now.

Great tip. I use blue tape because I haven’t found a good pencil. Thanks.

The old Eagle white Verithin pencils hold a point almost as good as a regular pencil. I use them for marking metal for welding layout as well as on dark woods. They're kind of hard to find though.

I believe Glenn Bradley posted recently in a build thread using a regular pencil, then go over it with the white art pencil. The pencil lead shows up well through the white. Works for me.

I've also used red pencils in some cases and whatever they are (very old, actually) they hold a point reasonably well. Not quite as visible as white, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had similar problems, but I found these Bohin pencils to be excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A pipe fitter by trade, I always carry a piece of soapstone in my pocket. A file is available to sharpen it to a sharp edge. It is inexpensive and does very well on dark wood. Yes it dulls quickly but a fine cut file handy and it comes back up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Great tip. I use blue tape because I haven’t found a good pencil. Thanks.
    Try a welder's pencil. They are a silver/grey that is very visible on dark wood. Inexpensive on Amazon or wherever so if you don't like it, not a big deal. The lead is softer than I'd like but it doesn't break or lose the point like the white ones.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-16-2022 at 1:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The old Eagle white Verithin pencils hold a point almost as good as a regular pencil. I use them for marking metal for welding layout as well as on dark woods. They're kind of hard to find though.
    EEB3D6FC-A9F7-43E6-80C0-837B72435698_1_201_a.jpg they're okay, but on wood ya need to get it in the light just right to see it. should be able to get them on amazon. I get them from welding supply.