Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-turning - best strategy?

Re-turning - best strategy?

I turn mostly green bowls. Typically, I turn an oversized tenon on the rough out. After drying, I use a jam chuck and true up the tenon.

When not re-turning like this, I prefer to use a recess.

What is the best method you've found for holding a roughout without the tail stock so that I could true up a recess after drying?

Vaccuum chuck?
    Longworth?

I'm not a fan of Cole jaws (too long to set up) or a Donut chuck (too hard to center).

If it matters, I'm using a Laguna Revo 18/36. Their vaccuum chuck is about as much the longworth.

Prashun,
    I'm still in the novice area as a turner (5 yrs or so), but I recently purchased the Vacuum Chuck system (ALAREVO18 VACUUM) and the Holdfast vacuum chucks. I have to say my stress level is so much lower than when trying to center things on a jam chuck or setting up a Longworth. There is an adaptor for the tailstock ( Nova , I believe) that allows you to turn it around straight off the headstock and have it centered perfectly before turning on the vacuum.
    Now, I don't do many wet turned bowls so I cannot speak directly to that process. But even for everyday turning situations, the vacuum chuck saves a lot of headaches.
    Jim

I have a vacuum chuck and a longworth, but unless there is something different or special about the rough out, I tend to use a jam chuck for ease of centering, and virtually no set up. I always leave a center mark in the tendon. I have a piece of wood with a non-slip pad attached to one face. I chuck that up. Hold the bowl with the center marked tendon against the 60 degree live center and advance the tail stock until the roughout is against the non-slip pad. Then gently remove wood to make the tendon round again. I do basically the same thing when I have a recess.

Thanks Guys. Paul, I do as you do. But I want to turn a recess not a tenon. I can’t do that with a tail stock so I don’t believe a jam chuck would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    ... I want to turn a recess not a tenon. I can’t do that with a tail stock so I don’t believe a jam chuck would work.
    You can turn a recess with the tailstock in place. Just turn the recess, leaving a small nub where the live center makes contact with the bowl. After the recess is turned, you can either leave the nubbin on (it should fit between the jaws of your chuck) or remove it with a knife or chisel.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Sorry if I am not being clear. When re-turning the dried bowl, truing up the recess is really difficult with the tail stock engaged. The recess is dovetailed. I have to come in with my dovetailed scraper parallel to the ways. The tailstock is therefore in the way.

How would one true up the recess with the tailstock engaged?

Longwoth chucks are pretty useless, unless the piece is concentric. Vacuum chucks need a relatively flat surface the form a seal. When second turning, the bowl blank typically won't have these features.
    To form a new recess, tenon or foot without the tailstock, a donut chuck or cole jaws are probably your best bet. I know that's not the answer you wanted but you need to hold a warped, rough bowl on the headstock securely enough to true up the foot, your choices are limited to a degree.
    JMO

Some thoughts:

1. I made a special tool that allows me to get in and re-turn the recess with the tailstock in place. The tool is a 1/2 " square bar with a small cutter mounted at roughly a 90 degree angle. The cutter was made from a file and ground so that it gives me the correct angle dovetail. I've seen other people take a skew (etc.) and remove the original front and put a "hook" of sorts in the side. Also, I made a 1-1/2 or 2" tip for my tailstock live center that allows the body of the tailstock to be back from the tenon/mortise.
    2. Before I had a vacuum chuck, I had made a set of wooden faceplates. To true up the tenon or mortise, I would sometimes hot glue the bowl to the faceplate. As long as I didn't get crazy-aggressive, that would give me great access w/o a tailstock in place.

As Brice said, you can reshape a scraper to reach the recess with the tailstock engaged. Vacuum chucks won't work on a warped piece unless you have a super thick and squishy gasket.

I am assuming that you are talking about re-turning a previously turned and dried blank. If you want to turn a recess in the foot of a dry unshaped piece you can start with a screw chuck or a drilled recess in the inside face

I don’t know about “best strategy” but I made a tool that allows cutting or cleaning up a recess with support from the tail stock. I ground it from some kind of old HSS tool with a rectangular shaft, a scraper I think. I’ve used it to re-turn warped recesses on roughed-out bowls supported by the tailstock and driven by some type of jamming at the headstock. I think one nice thing about using headstock jamming and tailstock support is it makes it easy to make small adjustments to align both the top and bottom of the piece as needed.

If the recess is large, it will clear a std Oneway style tailstock. If small, I make a tailstock extension from wood, usually to fit into a Nova live center but also have made an extension threaded to fit the Oneway center and turned down enough to provide clearance.

I shaped this tool and sharpen it using CBN wheels with square (instead of radiused) edges, with grit down the side (which I often find useful). I’m don’t have access to the photos on my computer right now but here a couple I have in one of my albums here.

As shown in the second photo, this tool is also useful for cutting a recess into a dry bowl or platter blank with parallel top and bottom, jammed with the tailstock, usually against some widely opened jaws of a chuck in the headstock. In this case the recess I make is a narrow ring, just wide enough for the chuck jaws. I don’t have a diagram with the tool and wood blank in the best orientation for visualization - I should draw one showing the tailstock in place as well to show how much clearance there actually is for my 50mm Nova jaws. It may not be obvious in the photo but the inside angle of the tip is a little less than 90-deg to allow cutting a slight dovetail in the recess while keeping the bottom flat.

BTW, I collect old tools, buying cheap or freebees, to give to students and to grind into special shapes - quite useful at times!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I turn mostly green bowls. Typically, I turn an oversized tenon on the rough out. After drying, I use a jam chuck and true up the tenon.

When not re-turning like this, I prefer to use a recess.

What is the best method you've found for holding a roughout without the tail stock so that I could true up a recess after drying?

Vaccuum chuck?
    Longworth?

I'm not a fan of Cole jaws (too long to set up) or a Donut chuck (too hard to center).

If it matters, I'm using a Laguna Revo 18/36. Their vaccuum chuck is about as much the longworth.

A bedan tool sneaks by my tail stock. Then if I want to add a dovetail I use a NOVA dovetail recess tool held at a bit of an angle to clear the tail stock. I have also used a pen saver live center which is quite thin when I needed more room. It really doesn't take much if all you need to do is round out an existing recess that has become an oval.

"If the recess is large, it will clear a std Oneway style tailstock"

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys. John, I realized that the key is just turning a larger recess such that it clears the tailstock. I'm going to make such a hook/recess tool for smaller recesses.

Thank you Everyone.

I'm a fan of simple solutions; I turn a fair number of bowls and always setup to return dried roughouts the same way. I rough everything with a chuck using number 3 dovetail jaws - Oneway or Vicmark (about 3-3/4" dia). The tenon is usually close to 4"; the same chuck/jaws are typically used for both turnings. When dry, the tenon has generally warped, but not so much that it can't be safely held in the jaws. I chuck the tenon, then turn a very shallow recess in the inside of the bowl (seldom no more than 1/8" deep) at a point that lets me simply reverse the bowl and true the tenon when the outside is finished. Turn it again and hold by the trued tenon to finish the inside. It gets turned once more and held with a vac chuck to finish the bottom.
    The whole process takes longer to explain than to do and the hold is very secure. I do keep the speed down when turning the recess on the inside while holding by the warped tenon, but the jaws have never lost their grip...
    Even though I always use a tenon rather than a recess, the process should work for either.

I just made my own scraper with an adjustable offset handle that I use for truing up both recess' and tenons.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quite often with green bowl blanks that have been drying and distorting, I make a recess cut in the inner of the bowl and then switch chucks for a wide set of jaws on my VM100 or VM120 chucks then reverse the bowl onto the correct set of jaws using expansion to hold. I am then able to completely do the outside of the bowl to finish.

Richard Raffan shows how he uses this method, which is simple as anything and quick. Start at 4:45 for where he uses this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp8L4NR1Jcc

Mick.