Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3,000 posts. I either need to get a life, or find SMC incredibly helpful.

3,000 posts. I either need to get a life, or find SMC incredibly helpful.

So this is my 3,000th post here on SMC. (It actually is more, but weirdly my user ID vanished many years ago, and I set it up again, with the counter starting at zero. But at least 12 years here at SMC.)

I can't describe how many useful tips and advice I have gotten from the many members and moderators here. I started woodworking as a hobby having no previous experience. Bought many tools (cheap ones that I have long since disposed of and regretted), and now some pretty darn nice ones.

I've built a few big projects, lots of small ones, and keep learning. I think I've gotten quite a bit better, but it's not for me to decide that.

Sometimes I've given advice. Hopefully most of it good, some of it bad. Hopefully not much of it controversial.

I've seen a million discussions/arguments over SawStops. Makes me shake my head every time I see them. I've sometimes jumped in when I saw bad medical advice being given. it was like when I was practicing medicine and saw a motorcyclist come in for surgery with his 3rd bad accident. I would always tell them, "You know, you really *&%@ at this. You need to sell the bike." And they would always say, "No way. I'm going to rebuild it". I'd shake my head, walk away, and put them back together again.

We've all (I hope) lasted through a pandemic, which will now be endemic throughout the rest of our lives. It has changed society and all of us. For me, in particular, woodworking has been a fantastic escape from that.

I would thank people individually for their help, but the list is endless. Let's just leave it at I really believe that this forum is a special place, with very special helpful people. A real gem.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Congrats for making it this far.

I dont think its a lack of life issue. If you're like me its part of your day. I work 12 hour days mostly in the office. I use this place to clear my head a couple times a day for 5-10 minutes. I learn along the way and get to see a ton of projects I will most likely never be capable of doing myself.

The best medical advice I got when building a FAK was from an army medic buddy. He suggested I add tampons to the kit. When asked why he had a very funny response comparing gun shot wounds to their regular use. But had real world experience using them so they're in there

Participation is the key to a strong community.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Participation is the key to a strong community.
    And you need to get a life

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    There are likely some long time folks here who have a bigger mouth than me. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Says a guy with 3,223 posts.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Third possible explanation: you've been on this board for twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Third possible explanation: you've been on this board for twenty years.
    Good point thats only 1 post every 3 days.

Start contributing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are likely some long time folks here who have a bigger mouth than me. LOL
    I can't speak on mouth size for anyone, but the leaders in posts and join dates are:
    posts.JPG

I've been a member for 6,965 days so my posts are only about 2 per day. Jim averages 8.6 per day since he joined.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-15-2022 at 12:21 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I can't speak on mouth size for anyone, but the leaders in posts and join dates are:
    posts.JPG

I've been a member for 6,965 days so my posts are only about 2 per day. Jim averages 8.6 per day since he joined.
    After seeing where I stand on that report, I sure am glad Jim Becker is around!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Me too

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Woah!

--

Congratulations? Life is what you make of it, in here, in other forums, in your mind, or in the real world.....enjoy your life as you see fit.

I vote that you need to get a life😀, and do it fast before you check my post count number.

I agree with all your comments, including the one on motorcycles, even though I’ve been riding for 48 years.

Yes, this is a wonderful forum with great people, as you know, since you’re one of them.

Regards, Rod.

At my current rate of posting I should hit 3000 posts August 13, 2124.
    As of today I have been on Sawmill Creek 6969 days (joined in the second week I think...member number 270)
    Ok I am a little slow...interesting thing is I am not as far down in the all time posts list as I think I would be. (1081st highest posting member, the member list has 131216 entries at the moment)

John
    Last edited by John Stankus; 03-17-2022 at 6:00 PM. Reason: typo