Thread: Replacing SawStop Rip Fence Tape Measure

Replacing SawStop Rip Fence Tape Measure

I guess this question isn't specific to SawStop but I want to replace my rip fence tape measure. I find the stock one very difficult to distinguish between 1/32 and 1/16" marks on the zero to 12" scale. Probably a result of diminished eye sight but I find the rest of the scale past 12" quite readable. Anyone replaced theirs? What did you go with?

The last time I did this was with some adhesive backed scales from Lee Valley back when I still owned the Jet cabinet saw. I think those were made by Starrett at the time. It is important to buy "good product" for this application to insure that the scale is accurate out to the end. Some types of tape seem to not be that way from anecdotal memory of past conversations on this subject.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley carries several adhesive tapes. They might have what your after.

I have problems getting a good focus on the cursor & tape lines as well. My solution was getting a Wixey digital readout for the table saw fence. It's definitely easier to make precise, repeatable cuts, but the big thing for me is no more eye strain when setting the fence.

Thanks Jim & Frank for the replies. It looks like Starrett makes one in 1/16"ths that would work. The Wixey also sound interesting but $8 vs $108 ? Might try the Starrett first and see if that suitable.

Blog Entries
    I choked at the cost too Ken, but I spend $1000+ on glasses every couple of years & I justified this as just another thing to help my poor eye site. It really has made a big difference to me. I've been wearing heavily corrective lenses since I was 2 and will take any improvements I can get.

Replacing the scale tape is most certainly a good first step. Adding a DRO is worthy of consideration but you don't need to rush on that. Frank's mention of readability can really play into things for many of us. I know that Dennis Peacock just installed a DRO on his saw this past week. I'll likely consider that for my own operation once I'm in a new shop building, both for whatever I slider I opt for as well as getting one back on my J/P for thicknessing. I had one years ago on the thicknessing function, but inadvertently damaged it. Right now, the only tool I have with an active DRO is my drum sander.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...