Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using braided hot water heater hose for compressed air?

Using braided hot water heater hose for compressed air?

I'm hooking up a second air compressor to my compressed air piping and was thinking of using a braided hot water heater hose as a flexible connection. I wouldn't ordinarily consider it except this connection is 3/4" and that is a size hose I'm not able to find locally for compressed air. Seems like it would work considering the hose is probably rated for 125 psi water. Good or bad idea?
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-14-2022 at 11:26 PM.

I don't think that's a good idea. The pressure rating is right at the max for most air compressors and some, like mine, put out 150 PSI. Secondly, water hoses generally have compression fittings which is not the best connection for your semi-permanent connection. I recently added a filter/water separator to my unit and bought a couple of air hoses in the short lengths I needed. Since air hoses for home typically have 1/4" NPT ends I had to buy some brass adapters to connect everything. You can buy all sizes of air hose on line (Amazon for mine) and I purchased the brass fittings at a local plumbing supply house but the orange and blue stores have them too. If you really wanted to get your hose locally I'm sure you could find a place that makes up hydraulic hose in any length you want.

I don't like the idea either, we used to use hydraulic hose at work. You can pick the hose size and have whatever type fitting you need on each end.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I have wondered about the corrugated copper lines. Seem like better cooling with those.
    Bill D

I'll second Jerry, hydraulic hose works well.

I'll agree with the hydraulic hose...hit up your local tractor dealer(s) for a hunk of it in the size you want.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Pressure rating for water may not be safe for air. If it lets go pressured up with water, things get wet. If it lets go full of air, things can explode.

Doesn't look to be a good idea. I'll look for some hydraulic hose or a better alternative.

You can order custom lengths and fitting combinations from McMaster. That's what I did for mine. Maybe not the cheapest way to go, but zero hassle.

Check with local hydraulic hose shops too. I got a left over length, terminated, pretty cheaply when I was building an onboard air system on a vehicle once.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

How about a 3/4 X 1/2 bushing adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Pressure rating for water may not be safe for air. If it lets go pressured up with water, things get wet. If it lets go full of air, things can explode.
    I knew a guy who had a knee messed up for life when a 1" air hose burst and hit him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I knew a guy who had a knee messed up for life when a 1" air hose burst and hit him.
    Stories about guys running airlines with PCV scare the crap out of me.

There are hoses similar that are made for high pressures of compressed air. You can find them on ebay. I used some to hook up a refrigerated dryer, and compressor to tank. No leaks in several years since I plumbed that.

edited to add: copy and paste this in the search box on ebay: 24" 3/4 NPT Anti Vibration Isolator Air Compressor Hookup Hose, Stainless Steel

They come in all sorts of lengths.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-15-2022 at 7:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    There are hoses similar that are made for high pressures of compressed air. You can find them on ebay. I used some to hook up a refrigerated dryer, and compressor to tank. No leaks in several years since I plumbed that.

edited to add: copy and paste this in the search box on ebay: 24" 3/4 NPT Anti Vibration Isolator Air Compressor Hookup Hose, Stainless Steel

They come in all sorts of lengths.
    I really didn't need stainless steel braided hose so this was purchased instead on eBay ...
    Compressed Air Jumper Hose 3/4" NPT 200 P.S.I. 3' Hose